Tap tempo

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features Tap tempo

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

’nuff said!

Tap with moving average of taps (smoothing or whatever) or cheap solution hold the button for one bar (assuming 4/4). Additional variant, tempo moves slowly to target tempo or tempo changes as soon as it is detected.

Tap should work while machine is playing.

Cheers,
    /R

Adam Wilson
    Participant

This is doable. You could use the Play button when already playing to specify the taps. Of course that doesn’t work when in Stop mode. Any suggestion for the key to be used for this?

Who else would like to see this?

gseher
    Keymaster

It is probably very low on my priority list, but I have thought the same thing.

When I improvise a rhythmic pattern ("live"; no click), and then want to record it, it is a better workflow that you dont have to search for the right tempo first. Just tap the tempo you were playing, and then record.

gseher
    Keymaster

Personally I’d need that for live use, I normally use a Ploytec 34one II for that, which works pretty well, but ergonomics wise…
    If I have to bring the octopus to a gig (I am seriously considering a custom suitcase version) I’d rather use the tap on the octopus than footswitch (has implications for start stop).

I think it should be even more essential for the Nemo, which is supposed to be the portable performance friendly little brother of the Octopus. If you are playing with live musicians you need to be able to resync continuosly (unless you really want to convince all of them to play to click).

The tap tempo in stop mode could be implemented by tapping on the stop button instead of play…

In the studio I use the tap tempo on the machinedrum or software so I don’t need the functionality on the octopus for studio use.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Pressing Stop repeatedly (with midi clock ‘200’ LED lit orange) would send an all-notes-off message out every time you hit the knob. ;)

I’d rather use a single tap tempo button for both stop and play situations. You may make a big mistake and stop the song by mistake. :) But of course it’s not easy to find a free button, that says TAP on the panel. ;)

gseher
    Keymaster

That’d be 123 on 16 channels whenever I tap… but if the machine is stopped can’t we make the assumption that whatever it’s connected to it shouldn’t be playing notes? :whistle:

I know that’s a stretch… We need to define the modifier paradigm… dont’ we? So pressing play together with something else will invoke the tap tempo? Or keep stop or play pressed and tap somewhere else…

Man I can’t wait, tap the tempo, and when you’re off a bit just hit ALN, retap etc… Good thing I didn’t ask for the .10 BPM nudge, a-la-machine drum….

gseher
    Keymaster

That’d be 123 on 16 channels whenever I tap… but if the machine is stopped can’t we make the assumption that whatever it’s connected to it shouldn’t be playing notes? :whistle:

I know that’s a stretch… We need to define the modifier paradigm… dont’ we? So pressing play together with something else will invoke the tap tempo? Or keep stop or play pressed and tap somewhere else…

Man I can’t wait, tap the tempo, and when you’re off a bit just hit ALN, retap etc… Good thing I didn’t ask for the .10 BPM nudge, a-la-machine drum….

Adam Wilson
    Participant

zinoff wrote:

Quote:

Lol, nice. :) But I was thinking of the release trail of things. Stuff that is just triggered (like long samples), and that may be cut off when the all-notes-off message is received. My guess is that we’ll be sorry if we allow that to happen.

Quote:

All of those are rather ‘risky’ key combos, imo. I’d prefer a button that doesn’t say play, stop or record. ;)

Quote:

Oh, just press and hold ZOM and use the main rotary to fine tune the current BPM in Page mode.

jk

gseher
    Keymaster

How about Tempo button in PAGE mode? It’s not used, and there’s nothing easier for explaining it in the manual: that in order to set the tempo you can tap the Tempo button…

Unfortunately in GRID mode it’s already used, semantically incorrectly, for triggering immediately or o’clock mode… Wild idea, keep it pressed in Grid mode change to immediate switching, or tap quickly to set the tempo… ;)

gseher
    Keymaster

I would really like a tap tempo feature…

And it should not relate to the play, start, stop buttons…

I thknk the tempo button should do it.. and the tempo button GRID functionality should be switched…

just my 2pence…

duncan
    Participant

I always use a tap-tempo device in my rig, because I often work with a drummer &/or guitarist, & need to be able to get the sequencer running at the arbitrary tempo of a "real" instrument being played.
    at the moment, I am having a problem with the octopus not correctly echo-ing midi stop commands when it is the clock slave. means I have to use a number of midi-merge boxes to achieve the ergonomics I’m after.

anyway.

the best, potentially cheap, tap-tempo device I can think of, besides the ploytech pedal, is any of the original korg electribe boxes (the ones without shiny metal tops & valves & all that). the tap tempo button is a nice big spongy rubber button that you can really pound on, & there’s a nice big tempo readout too. the clock is pretty stable.

I have also used (& am currently using) the electrix repeater as a master clock; the clock is a bit jittery sometimes (especially if the repeater is doing a lot of processing) but seems to be ok once a tempo is established. the korg was better at tracking changes, I reckon.

hth-
    duncan.

Kent Iverson
    Participant

Tap Tempo is a no-brainer inclusion for the center of this tactile workstation. It should really be done.

matt avent
    Participant

I could really use a tap tempo to synch the octopus to my modular’s drones

Tapping the play button whilst playing would be good.

Whilst the seq is stopped perhaps you would have to hold the stop button down and tap the play button??

matt avent
    Participant

the more i think about this feature the more i want it!!

also, what would be really cool from an experimental point of view would be a user definable tempo ‘slew’ rate.

ie. if you’re changing from 190BPM to 57BPM or some other nonsense then you wouldn’t necessarily want it to instantly jump so you should be able to set the time somehow. in fact, this damping factor would probably help stabilise the clock frequency too, when making drastic changes. could get a bit chaotic otherwise.

any thoughts guys? i guess it’s a bit like a modification to the synch to external midi clock routine?

cheers

m

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.