Octopus dead after upgrade attempt

OS_CE Forums Octopus Support Octopus dead after upgrade attempt

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    matt hillier
    Participant

how are we on this upgrade now ? i am on 1.60 i think and want to try the hypersteps in 1.62 but a little paranoid as evertime i upgrade something goes wrong as documented or has in the past.How do i chekc what os i am on first ? and can i go from os 1.60 to 1.62 without a problem ? i’m in pc , is this mac specific ? seems we have many people having problems with these upgrades ?

paul
    Participant

Hi IX,I would beware the update process.

My machine is now officialy dead,no response at all,even the boot loader seems to have gone.All I get via hyperterm is a small ‘x_’

The USB update process seemed to work,up untill the octopus closed the connection after having accepted the new .elf file.It then sent out some info to the screen, but not at all what is written in the update manual.
    Specificaly it wrote only the first few expected characters, and then stopped with a horizontal flashing cursor.Not the ‘Octopus vertical cursor ‘I had hoped for.

At one point I did a fis list and got a perfect match to the manual but did not write it to memory as I had not yet done the previous command,and the manual emphasizes the importance of exactly following the steps.

Bloddy digital tech and manuals written by techies.Sorry Gabriel.

I retried the elf transmission process and at some point it just died when I pushed the reset button.

I should emphasize that my machine is not earthed.
    And that the reset button had been a source of problems before for me.
    I therefore never used it,except for updates.
    I maybe alone with this problem.

Furthermore,the update manual does not explain hyperterm much so that can cause confusion for non tech people like me.

Funny,one reason for buying Octopus was to get out of the computer.

I now fly away for 6 months to stay warm,the Octopus is boxed and waiting to be returned to Genoqs when I come back in April.

Sorry Sorry tale.

B Johansson
    Participant

Here’s one thing you can try if you have problem sending the ".elf" file:

Hyper Terminal:
    In the Transfer drop-menu choose "Send file". Choose the .elf file you want to uplod to Octopus.

In the "Protocol"-box make sure it says "Ymodem"´not "Zmodem" or "Zmodem xxxxx". The first attempt to upload the .elf file I had "Zmodem xxxxx" in the box and it did not work. The second time I read the manual again and I found out that one of the screendumps said "Ymodem"….
    I changed to Ymodem in Hyper Termianl and voilá!
    It helped me to bring back my dead Octopus to life.

I’m not sure about the differences between all modem protocols and imho I don’t care (I’m not a techie)… Choosing the "Ymodem" worked for me and I’m happy :-)

Hope this will help someone else!

Bo

Edit 1: I’m on Windows Xp Pro Sp 3

Post edited by: Sbay, at: 2009/10/02 13:24

matt hillier
    Participant

flakey machine on os updates.

I now fly away for 6 months to stay warm,the Octopus is boxed and waiting to be returned to Genoqs when I come back in April.

Sorry Sorry tale.[/quote]

Post edited by: ix, at: 2009/10/03 02:46

B Johansson
    Participant

ix wrote:

Quote:
    flakey machine on os updates.

Sorry Sorry tale.

<br /><br />Post edited by: ix, at: 2009/10/03 02:46[/quote]

Sorry IX for asking…what do you mean with "flakey on machine os updates"?
    I’m not familiar to all english abbreviations – what is "flakey"?

Cheers
    Bo

Post edited by: Sbay, at: 2009/10/03 19:12

matt hillier
    Participant

sorry flakey means ‘ unreliable ‘ , not dependable to do what it should or unpredictable.

Sorry Sorry tale.[/quote]<br /><br />Post edited by: ix, at: 2009/10/03 02:46[/quote]

Sorry IX for asking…what do you mean with "flakey on machine os updates"?
    I’m not familiar to all english abbreviations – what is "flakey"?

Cheers
    Bo<br /><br />Post edited by: Sbay, at: 2009/10/03 19:12[/quote]

Jonathan Murray
    Participant

I had exactly the same experience upgrading to 1.62 via the sysx route this evening and then I had problems doing the USB upload like several other folks on the thread. The .elf file transfer was getting canceled all the time with an ‘Invalid image’ error.

I was using zTerm on the Mac to upload the .elf. It turns out that by default zTerm converts the .elf to Mac Binary format during the transfer. This results in the invalid image. I selected File->Transfer Convert->Binary Data in the zTerm menu. This allowed me to transfer a valid image file to the Octopus. Following the instructions in the PDF to then write the image file to the flash etc. resulted in a bootable machine which is now fully recovered :cheer:

I hope this discovery might help others facing the same problem.

Jonathan

rachel polanskis
    Participant

Argh! Why didn’t I read this thread before trying to upgrade my Octopus to 1.62?!!!!

Now I have to go through the business myself.

I am on a Mac – hopefully the zterm instructions will work for me…..

I will let you all know how I go….. :S

rachel

rachel polanskis
    Participant

OK, I followed all the procedures and to my delight, I’m back!
    No problems for a sysadmin such as myself, I suppose.

I can confirm that all my tracks and data appear to be present after the update.

rachel

matt avent
    Participant

Same for me.

I tried going from 160 to 162 using the sysex last night and it never switched back on afterwards.

USB upgrade worked first time though from windows XP and all my data seems to be intact, although I did back it up via sysex first.

Right, where were we?

duncan
    Participant

tonight I tried to go from 1.61 to 1.62 using a macbook pro with snow leopard (10.6.3), an opcode midiport32 & sysex librarian.

of course, what happened next was dead octopus. y’all might’ve warned me! so anyway, here I am, back at the forum after months of silence to tell you this: you can fix the octopus with a macbook pro & these items:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

http://homepage.mac.com/dalverson/zterm/

follow the usb pdf to the letter, except for this: you MUST change the "transfer convert" setting (in the "file" menu) to "binary data".

be very careful not to make any typos.

I believe- I could be wrong- that there’s actually a typo or at least a "different to how mine turned out" in the pdf itself; the very last listing of what the successful upload shows in the terminal when you ask for a flash-listing…. I have attached mine. in case it doesn’t attach, the entry that’s different is the memory address value corresponding to the actual elf file; mine shows the same number as the flash address, while in the pdf it’s a different number there.
    gabriel, do you know why this is? my octopus is working again, fwiw, a mere hour into the nightmare of no LEDs & me thinking the power supply had died.

:-)

duncan. Screen_shot_2010_05_08_at_23.jpg

Post edited by: duncandisorderly, at: 2010/05/09 01:18

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.