Edit modes and complexity

OS_CE Forums Octopus Support Edit modes and complexity

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    B Johansson
    Participant

ripe wrote:

Quote:
    I’ll chime in here… I just got done using the new OS for a bit and I agree that the EDIT modes need some reworking, having three states to move through is too much "thinking".

Having a modifier button to use when entering "berlin" EDIT mode would seem to work better, that way the mode doesn’t interfere with the workflow we have grown accustom to.

cheers
    ripe

Hello GenoQsians.

I don’t have any "thinking" issues with the three "modes/states" – a steady green LED, a blinking yellow LED and a blinking green LED ("Berlin")… I’m already used to it!

It is perhaps a question of how one use the Octo (Live/Studio)? I’m in my studio all the time… However I like the suggestion for a "modifier button" if that will make everybody happy!

No flames No offends – just a thought.

From the grim North
    Bo

B Johansson
    Participant

ripe wrote:

Quote:
    I’ll chime in here… I just got done using the new OS for a bit and I agree that the EDIT modes need some reworking, having three states to move through is too much "thinking".

Having a modifier button to use when entering "berlin" EDIT mode would seem to work better, that way the mode doesn’t interfere with the workflow we have grown accustom to.

cheers
    ripe

Hello GenoQsians.

I don’t have any "thinking" issues with the three "modes/states" – a steady green LED, a blinking yellow LED and a blinking green LED ("Berlin")… I’m already used to it!

It is perhaps a question of how one use the Octo (Live/Studio)? I’m in my studio all the time… However I like the suggestion for a "modifier button" if that will make everybody happy!

No flames No offends – just a thought.

From the grim North
    Bo

Carlos Dalla-Fiore
    Participant

the three states do slow me down in "live" situations. i agree on the making the new "preview-edit"(flashing green) mode the default alternative to the step toggle(fixed green) as i find it gets more use than the old "edit"(flashing orange)

I also think having the current edit mode act globally for all pages won’t mean a great loss in functionality, and will keep things more intuitive.

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant
    Quote:
    I also think having the current edit mode act globally for all pages won’t mean a great loss in functionality, and will keep things more intuitive.

Exactly! Good you brought that one up again.

Adam
    Participant

Also: for Berlin mode, when depressing a step, can we have it so that either the [STEP] button in the mode block or the [ZOM] button available to quickly jump into that step. I keep on reaching for it and it’s not there.

john Kimble
    Participant

I think my "thinking" issue is related to there being 3 states instead of 2 (or 4). I can’t just click, or click twice to get to a mode and back, I need to think about what mode I’m in and then choose the correct number of click to get where I want to, since the number of modes is an odd number.

I think this also what LDT was referring to.

And come to think of it, maybe double-clicking the EDIT mode to get to "berlin" would be a possible solution.

cheers
    ripe

Post edited by: ripe, at: 2009/09/08 19:11

Gabriel Seher
    Participant

Thanks all for the excellent discussion. It seems that the distilled solution to the complexity problem of the three modes is the following:

– The EDIT PERFORM state (Berlin) takes the place of EDIT state, and we go back to having the EDIT button switch between two states.
    – The old EDIT state will be reached by holding some other button while pressing EDIT (or possibly another route).
    – The state of the EDIT button will get global and hence will "carry" across pages
    – the [STEP] button in the mode block should be available to quickly jump into that step (nice consistency with the overall model)
    – Add the ability to zoom into step/track mode via double-click from the ‘Berlin’ state
    It’s all on the worklist now.

EDIT: added input from a discussion on the Nemo forum
    – There is a suggestion that the behaviour of the step buttons may be changed in the sense that pressing a button in Page mode (standard toggle behaviour) will not have an effect until one releases the button. Like that we could combine the normal Page mode with Berlin mode into one level of operation. The drawback is of course that toggling steps in the matrix will feel differently. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Cheers,
    Gabriel

Post edited by: gseher, at: 2009/09/14 06:40

Carlos Dalla-Fiore
    Participant
    Quote:
    – The state of the EDIT button will get global and hence will "carry" across pages

only across pages right?

I just discovered i can have grid mode in "edit" and quickly jump between pages from page view by holding the page button(which takes me up to grid) then choosing another page. I like being able to have the pages in toggle mode, especially for beats.

lovely!

I was previously hitting grid then double clicking into a different page. :blush:

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.