wish: step LEN entry

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features wish: step LEN entry

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I’m wondering if it would be possible to add the feature where in STEP zoom mode, you could both see and enter a notes length in the matrix grid… similar to how it is done on a futureretro mobius.

You would hold down the start of the note and the last step where the note should end and it would automatically set the LEN of that note.

So something like

….O

o….
    ___^_____^
    press here at the same time

I’m still saving up to buy my Octopus, so forgive me if this is handled better in the current OS.

cheers
    John K.

Post edited by: ripe, at: 2007/08/10 15:12

Post edited by: admin, at: 2008/05/09 15:53

Administrator
    Participant

On the Octopus the length of a step is adjusted to a 1/192 level.
    Currently, in STEP zoom mode you would use the LEN encoder to adjust it to the desired value.
    It is not a big deal to enable matrix-entry for it, hence allowing direct key presses. Following that model, you would double-click to enter the values of 1/16ths, and single click to enter the value of 1/192ths.
    With 3 consecutive key presses in the row you may be able to jump between any value in the range (1/192 to 191/192).
    In terms of representation, the start of the note is always denoted by the first column in the matrix – and you always have a visual reference of what step you are editing, given in the POS row.
    Hope this helps!

Gabriel

Post edited by: gseher, at: 2007/08/12 05:50

gseher
    Keymaster

Gabriel,

Yes that makes sense now, I reread the manual and I understand the layout. Thanks!

Now, from the manual and your response I gather it isn’t possible to directly enter the LEN value in the matrix? Currently it must be entered using the encoder (?)

I can deal with it, I’m just used to entering things roughly in 1/16ths and then fine tuning if needed later (using 1/192ths).

I hope to be "with Octopus" in the next couple weeks!

Thanks
    John K.

Administrator
    Participant

ripe wrote:

Quote:
    Now, from the manual and your response I gather it isn’t possible to directly enter the LEN value in the matrix? Currently it must be entered using the encoder (?)

Correct.
    I have put it on the list of additions, there is no technical reason why you should not be able to do it as you described it.

(P.S.: just back from vacation, sorry for the delay in getting back to you)

Post edited by: gseher, at: 2007/08/20 11:55

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.