legato notes?

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features legato notes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I read another thread on legato notes, it seems that legato on the octopus == no note off.

Is there an easy way to enter overlapping legato notes? This mainly comes into play when triggering synths with fingered portamento or "slide".

Would it be as easy and extending the length of a default 1/16th note "1 click" (1 1/192th)? Would this be enough to overlap with the next step?

Thanks!
    John K.

gseher
    Keymaster

Hi John,

I don’t exectly know if I get the point here. Do you want to extend the step length by 1 + 1/192? Any step (the LEN attribute in Octopus’ world) can be set to min. 1/192 and max. of 192/192=1. Legato is indeed realised by not sending a note off command. In the current OS 1.02 in Step Mode you can edit the step LEN only by the LEN rotary knob. In other modes i.e. Track Mode one can just click or double click the matrix buttons to set an attribute value. The implementation of this comfortable "entering fearture" in Step Mode is already on our list and could be implemented in our next software release.

See also the tread "wish: step LEN entry"

Was that helpfull?

cheers,
    Marcel

Post edited by: machim, at: 2007/08/14 23:56

gseher
    Keymaster

I understand what the current "octopus" implementation of legato is, but I don’t see how it can be useful on most synthesizers… it would result in a hung note (?)

On fingered legato, the notes just have to overlap, but the first note still must have a note-off. This is the way most monophonic (303 clones) implement slide. If no note off is sent for the first note, then the synth will slide back to the original pitch after the second note-off is received.

Again, this behaviour is probably as simple as adjusting the LEN of a step so it ends at least 1/192th after the beginning of the following step.

cheers
    John K.

Administrator
    Participant

John, got your point, good one!
    The note off for the "legato" notes is sent only upon stopping Octopus – and basically leaving all the work in between to the synth, if you want.
    Will look into a way to make it work the way you suggested. Right now this feels like a bit of work, but it would help if you Could rate this from a priority perspective (from 1 to 3). That will help us channel it better.
    Thanks!

Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

Gabriel,

Thanks for the reply. I tested out the legato this weekend and it is just a simple matter of clicking the note length to overlap with the next note. I don’t think it would be worth the trouble to implement it as a specific function (slide).

There are a couple of other wishes I would give high priority :-)

1. Step note entry should mirror the track parameter entry in PAGE mode, for example if I push (and hold) a step while in PAGE mode, the note PITCH should show up on the circle, right now there is no indication of the PITCH unless you zoom in on the step. Additionally, the other parameters could be displayed on the matrix, but that may intrude with playability.

2. This is similar to my other posted wish regarding step LEN entry, in PAGE mode it would be awesome to enter note length by pressing and holding a step and then pressing a second step (in the same row) to set the note length. Maybe this could work in conjunction with wish #1, where the length of a step would show up when you press and hold a step (instead of showing all the other step parameters in the matrix). But the length would be in 1/16th (steps) from from the current position of the step being modified.

maybe I should open a separate post for this.

octopus_step_entry.jpgcheers
    JK

Post edited by: ripe, at: 2007/08/20 16:35

gseher
    Keymaster

sorry, also it would display the modulus to get to the closest 1/16th step if the step had a specific 1/192 value.

cheers
    JK

Post edited by: ripe, at: 2007/08/20 16:39

Administrator
    Participant

Hi John, a couple of comments..

Ok, with the slide sorted, I like your suggestion about the parameter show of the pressed step. One fear is that this may produce too much blinking and flashing as you are toggling the steps, but will investigate.

Also, I am not sure if you meant to have the step length display (in page mode) as consecutively lit green LEDs, or if the illustration was not intended that way. In the former case there is an issue since you could not really tell long steps from short steps. Ideas?

Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

In the illustration, you would see the steps in the matrix as they are now, until you "grab" a step.

Once a step is grabbed, it would show the length in steps using green LEDs and anywhere it overlaps an existing step it would show as an orange LED.

While you have the step grabbed, the length could be modified using the encoder (as it works now) or the length could be selected by clicking a second step to designate the end of the note. The green LEDS would now extend (or contract) to show that the length is now set to the new length. When the step is released (ungrabbed) it reverts to showing just the single step where the note is triggered, the normal matrix view.

Hope that clears it up. This also takes care of the fingered legato because you could just set a step to "overlap" another by grabbing a step and then clicking the step you wish to legato (?) with.

cheers
    JK

Post edited by: ripe, at: 2007/08/20 23:21

zahir manek
    Participant

the p3 works this way and i found it very useful. add my voice to the request.

Gabriel Seher
    Participant

Have you checked out the current OS? It is in there in my opinion.
    Cheers,
    Gabriel

Julian Parker
    Participant

gseher wrote:

Quote:
    Have you checked out the current OS? It is in there in my opinion.
    Cheers,
    Gabriel

This currently works in Page edit mode only, correct? I can certainly see the argument for not implementing it in normal Page mode, as it could obstruct the toggling of multiple steps. It would be great to have it in Step mode however, and I can’t see how it would obstruct any other functionality – thoughts anyone?

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

For some reason this 2 year old thread has been ressurected. It might be a bit confusing if you don´t notice the dates.

Gabriel Seher
    Participant

jngpng wrote:
    This currently works in Page edit mode only, correct? I can certainly see the argument for not implementing it in normal Page mode, as it could obstruct the toggling of multiple steps. It would be great to have it in Step mode however, and I can’t see how it would obstruct any other functionality – thoughts anyone?[/quote]

Can you please explain in more detail how this would work in Step mode? By Step mode I mean the mode where the matrix is dedicated to showing the attributes of only one step..
    Thanks,
    Gabriel

Julian Parker
    Participant

gseher wrote:

Can you please explain in more detail how this would work in Step mode? By Step mode I mean the mode where the matrix is dedicated to showing the attributes of only one step..
    Thanks,
    Gabriel[/quote]

I was thinking that it would work similarly to the way it works in PAGE ‘Berlin’ edit mode i.e. click and hold a step (in this case, obviously in the bottow row), then click another step to set the end of the note.

Gabriel Seher
    Participant

OK – understood now.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.