Feature request –

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features Feature request –

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Attila Sik
    Participant

rather than mute buttons toggling a track on and off or muting it how about a feature where
    pressing and holding a track mute ( or a tracks button in say Grid /track mode) plays that track until you let go ?

press a mute or track in grid/track mode and it plays forward until you let go . . . .?

Attila Sik
    Participant

it would maybe require someway of desengaging the master play/clock from the tracks and they play or start and stop via there own track buttons ( in grid/track mode) rather than via the main ‘ play ‘ button……

gseher
    Keymaster

Grid track mode seems to be the natural place to build this.
    Will look into it.
    Gabriel

Post edited by: gseher, at: 2008/01/04 19:31

Attila Sik
    Participant

sounds good gabriel , that would be the best view . . .
    the idea was simple – forget the idea of the octopus as a sequencer and see it in this mode as a clock synced bank of patterns , then play these by hand in grid track mode . . .pressing a button fires out the tracks midi data until you let go , you could load up or create some crazy sequences and ‘ play ‘ them . .. creating very novel results . . .

gseher wrote:

Quote:
    Grid track mode seems to be the natural place to build this.
    Will look into it.
    Gabriel<br /><br />Post edited by: gseher, at: 2008/01/04 19:31
    gseher
    Keymaster

oohh…. I get it…. so they’d still be synchronised but at step-level rather than bar level? yes. great for adding fills during drum parts…. maybe you could have the stopped patterns start exactly when you press the button, rather than on the next step, to give it a more human feel?

duncan.

Attila Sik
    Participant

duncandisorderly wrote:

Quote:
    oohh…. I get it…. so they’d still be synchronised but at step-level rather than bar level?

yeah that kind of thing duncan – maybe the option to choose whether the track fired remains synced to clock and starts on the next step but also the option to have no sync at all to clock and use the octopus to ‘ play ‘ sequences like some mad keyboard wizard all out of sync . . . for ambient music out of sync is wonderfull – like out of sync tape loops . i use the octopus loads to trigger cycles of slow attack sounds and stuff like this with tracks cycling in usual ways that never seem to repeat.

. . .. . . . . . . . i am drifting but it would be great to have both the ability to ‘ fire ‘ tracks in gridtrack mode both in sync and out of sync.

>
    The term ‘fire’ a track i kind of see as meaning that rather than mute a track on or off its ‘played ‘ via the player pressing / holding and letting go of a track button in trackgrid mode<

Post edited by: admin, at: 2008/02/01 07:10

George Stobbelaar
    Participant

I definitely like that idea. The option to choose sync or not sync would be very important. It would make the octopus even more an experimental input device as it is already. Reminds me of the Buchla Thunder, but the Octopus would make it easier to program and more complex. Great idea!!

mattishq wrote:

Quote:
    duncandisorderly wrote:

Quote:
    oohh…. I get it…. so they’d still be synchronised but at step-level rather than bar level?

yeah that kind of thing duncan – maybe the option to choose whether the track fired remains synced to clock and starts on the next step but also the option to have no sync at all to clock and use the octopus to ‘ play ‘ sequences like some mad keyboard wizard all out of sync . . . for ambient music out of sync is wonderfull – like out of sync tape loops . i use the octopus loads to trigger cycles of slow attack sounds and stuff like this with tracks cycling in usual ways that never seem to repeat.

. . .. . . . . . . . i am drifting but it would be great to have both the ability to ‘ fire ‘ tracks in gridtrack mode both in sync and out of sync.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.