weird behavior

OS_CE Forums Octopus Support weird behavior

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jordi
    Participant

Yeah, having it running is a relief. I was envisioning having to ship it back to germany to be checked out, which I wasn’t terribly enthusiastic about….

gseher
    Keymaster

I can imagine that – although somehting this is hardly anything that would be due to faulty hardware. So for now just enjoy the machine!

Jordi
    Participant

It’s the Virus! It just happened again, and I was able to try another MIDI device to confirm that the Octopus was sending the correct messages. I rebooted the Virus and it disappeared, too. It is pretty weird behavior: non-overlapping notes play fine but legato notes it drops every other note message, whether on or off, so you get missing notes or hanging notes depending on note length (that’s a simplification but is pretty close to exact). And I’m not talking about as a sound module, I was just feeding it into Max and printing note messages.

I’m relieved that it’s not my Octopus, that it’s something I can work around with another MIDI interface, and that it seems to be solved by a quick reboot. That’s three kinds of relief.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Okay, good news (for us). Thanks for the update.

Regarding the Virus, does the bogus MIDI behavior any relation with the Virus sound engine you think? For example, when the MIDI went bad, did you happen to play a monophonic sound on the Virus, or an ARP for example?

Jordi
    Participant

No, I don’t think it has anything to do with the sound engine. I’ve had it happen when I was using Live with Virus Control active, in which case it was behaving the same whether the MIDI was routed back to the Virus or to another sound source (with the Virus playing nothing), and I’ve had it happen when using Max, without the Virus Control plug-in, and I was working on a patch that didn’t route the MIDI to any sound sources (I was just watching the incoming messages).

It’s quite curious how it only happens for legato playing. Because when I switch it to staccato, the note on and note offs are quite a bit closer together in timing, but they play fine. That doesn’t make any sense, because it seems to suggest that the Virus is "interpreting" incoming MIDI instead of just passing it on.

By the way, last night the Virus was in single mode with one of the default >>INPUT<< patches active, and, as I said, a reboot cleared it, though it was in the exact same state (meaning that input patch is the boot-up patch, and I didn’t touch a single knob or switch).

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.