weird behavior

OS_CE Forums Octopus Support weird behavior

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jordi
    Participant

I can’t figure this out. I’ve recreated this three times, after page clears and a reboot.

Top left page in the matrix, set to output on channel one. 10 simultaneous one-row tracks. Row 9 is set to play C, row 8 D#.

If I’m playing a monophonic patch:

If row 9 is the only note, it works properly.

If I put a note on in row 8, and the notes overlap, the note off message on row 9 is never transmitted, and a note on message for row 9 is never transmitted. I can see this on a MIDI activity indicator. That is, the C note plays for a continuous bar (even if it’s, say, a half note), and the D# never plays.

If I put a note on in row 8 and the notes do not overlap, they play normally.

What is going on?

Post edited by: adam, at: 2008/09/07 05:54

Post edited by: admin, at: 2008/09/17 10:19

Post edited by: admin, at: 2008/09/18 07:00

Post edited by: admin, at: 2009/03/14 04:47

Jordi
    Participant

Hmmm, happening the same across all pages, all channels. If the first note is shorter than the second, they both play. If the first note ends before the second one does, it plays the correct length, but stops the second note from sending a note on. If the first note ends after the second one, the first note never gets a note off message, and second note never gets a note on.

If I add another note in between them, that middle note will only send a note off message, but then the third note will play correctly.

Post edited by: adam, at: 2008/09/07 06:13

gseher
    Keymaster

Hi Adam, strange indeed.. what version of the OS are you on?

Jordi
    Participant

The plot thickens. I went back to an older sequence and discovered that it’s happening there, as well, and may have always been happening with my Octopus.

The reason I didn’t notice it previously is that a note on any page has the effect of my last sentence in the post above this one. That is, when my drum page is playing, they create the "in between" notes which cause the monophonic synth page to play properly.

Example:

The monophonic synth page is playing 4 notes, such that the first two notes are legato and the last two are stand-alone.

If the drum page is playing, with a note anywhere from the first beat (where the first monophonic note is on the other page) to before the second note of the monophonic page, the monophonic part plays properly. (That is, it plays: Cnoteon, D#noteon, D#noteoff, Cnoteoff).

If there are no notes on the drum part before the D#noteon, but there IS a note before the Cnoteoff, then I get the following: Cnoteon, D#noteoff, Cnoteoff.

If there are no notes on the drum part before the Cnoteoff, then I never get a Cnoteoff. I get Cnoteon, D#noteoff. If I get rid of the D# note, as well, then the Cnoteoff plays correctly, regardless of what’s going on in the drum track.

The drum notes are different than C and D#. This seems to happen regardless of page in the grid and what channel the monophonic part is playing on, and is independent of the device that it is playing. I may have never noticed this before because I usually start by programming a drum part.

Can someone try to recreate this? I’m 99% certain I’m on the latest non-beta OS.

Jordi
    Participant

Can anyone confirm this, please? If they write a legato trill on two tracks, does the second note play properly? (Mute any other active tracks).

gseher
    Keymaster

Hello Adam,

I have tried to replicate the problem but was not able to – in spite of your very accurate explanation. What you are observing is that the Notes do not get generated correctly, right? So that is really independent of the synth you are using in the "back-end".

I have both listened to a mono synth and monitored the MIDI stream, but do not see any irregularities. I have tried three notes on different tracks, different pitches and all possible permutations of length combinations, especially overlaps.

Has anyone else been able to re-produce this?

It seems rather strange that something this basic would have passed unnoticed for such a long time now.

Another question to you would be how your MIDI stream is routed – do you go via direct wires, or do you have any other devices between Octopus and the Synth or the MIDI interface that is providing the measurement? Possibly the messages get produced but filtered somewhere in between?

Gabriel

Jordi
    Participant

I’m plugged into my Virus MIDI in, with Virus Control active in Ableton, which should route everything that the Virus gets directly into Live. Ableton has a MIDI in indicator, which is where I’m able to see that there’s no note on happening for certain notes. It’s theoretically possible, I suppose, but highly unlikely, that the Virus is somehow filtering certain notes out. If it were random I would think it more likely than the precise behavior I’ve seen.

Should I try the OS beta? Is it reasonably stable? I’ll try another MIDI interface, as well.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Please remove the Virus hardware and software from the test situation and record the output of the Octopus straight into a midi track in Live, Logic or similar. Then study the recorded midi data.

Jordi
    Participant

Right. That’s what I was saying I will do with "trying another MIDI interface."

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Sorry, didn’t get that. Your Virus is your midi interface of course.

Jordi
    Participant

Actually, maybe that is the issue. I still think it’s unlikely that the Virus is dropping some notes on the MIDI interface side (I have been checking the MIDI, not trusting my ears), but looking at my post dates, I did notice this the day after I updated the Virus OS, so…

I’ll check it when I’m at home tonight.

gseher
    Keymaster

Also, what I use for testing is a MIDI monitor application, like MIDI Monitor on the Mac or MIDI-Ox on Windows. I find that the most reliable way. You may also try a different MIDI interface, just to be sure.
    Btw, I have been using the TI as a MIDI interface without any problems ever.

Jordi
    Participant

Yeah, I haven’t had any problems with it, either.

Jordi
    Participant

I’ll be damned. Everything is working properly now, through the Virus or otherwise. I know I tried rebooting the Octopus when I had the problem, but I can’t say for sure that I rebooted my computer or the virus. Definitely working as it should.

I swear this happened, though. I’ll keep an eye out for it happening again. I think the specific, repeatable nature of the error must mean that it was an Octopus glitch, because I can’t see how any other part of the chain having a problem would produce such precise results. Would you more knowledgeable types agree with that?

Thanks for your help, anyway. Sorry for having mobilized the troops over nothing.

gseher
    Keymaster

No problem Adam – important is that you are up and running now. If it is / was an Octopus glitch that we in the end can track down and therefore fix, I’ll be just as glad!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.