Tenori-on tricks

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange Tenori-on tricks

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I’ve recently got a Tenori-On (TO), and there are a couple of cute tricks, I was wandering if anybody can think of how to achieve with the octopus.

With TO can modify the length of the loop with start and end. We can do that with mutes.
    However with the TO you can slide the window of the loop, that is…
    I can tell to loop from step 1 to 8 (instead of the usual 1 to 16), for a total of 8 steps length loop, then I can rotate a wheel and can slide the loop from

2 to 9, 3 to 10, 4 to 11 …. 9 to 16. Basically I can use a part of a track by using a window over it, it’s fairly nice to rotate beats around and other tricks.

Can’t think how to achieve the same on the Octopus.

(for those wondering, there’s way toooooo much stuff that the Tenori-On doesn’t do compared with the Octopus).

gseher
    Keymaster

Actually this behaviour could be enabled in the Octopus code in the sense that skipped steps would be locked to their respective positions. Then, changing the POS of a track would produce the result you describe. I wonder how everyone feels about this.
    Gabriel

Mike
    Participant

I think it was mentioned before, but I would rather see POS only rotate the active steps, leaving muted steps in place.

This would not bring the underlying notes of the muted steps back into view when changing POS, they would stay in place.

I am all for having options, if possible, to allow the user to choose the method they desire!

cheers
    ripe

Mike
    Participant

I think it was mentioned before, but I would rather see POS only rotate the active steps, leaving muted steps in place.

This would not bring the underlying notes of the muted steps back into view when changing POS, they would stay in place.

I am all for having options, if possible, to allow the user to choose the method they desire!

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

gseher wrote:

Quote:
    Actually this behaviour could be enabled in the Octopus code in the sense that skipped steps would be locked to their respective positions. Then, changing the POS of a track would produce the result you describe. I wonder how everyone feels about this.
    Gabriel

Sounds fine to me!

gseher
    Keymaster

I think what you’re proposing is slightly different (at least from my sleepy perspective)…

you would need to lock the mutes and POS the steps including those steps that are "below" the muted steps…

That is from a track like this

X.XX.XX.XXXX.X.X

I wasn’t thinking of rotating

MM[XX.XX.XXXX.X]MM
    MM[X.XX.XXXX.XX]MM
    MM[.XX.XXXX.XXX]MM
    MM[XX.XXXX.XXX.]MM
    MM[X.XXXX.XXX.X]MM
    and so on….

Instead by sliding a window over the track (and looping the length of the window), let’s say of 12 steps I could get the following patterns at runtime:

[X.XX.XX.XXXX].X.X
    X[.XX.XX.XXXX.]X.X
    X.[XX.XX.XXXX.X].X
    X.X[X.XX.XXXX.X.]X
    X.XX[.XX.XXXX.X.X]

I hope it is more clear now.

Cheers,
    /R

gseher
    Keymaster

firefox 3 doesn’t like the board :blink: , I’m getting double posts.

Post edited by: zinoff, at: 2008/08/12 23:30

Adam Wilson
    Participant

gseher wrote:

Quote:
    Gabriel

What if we provide a way where where only the muted steps are rotated?

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Zinoff, how do you like the Tenori?

gseher
    Keymaster

I had it for only a week did one jam with it, but didn’t have my trusty Ploytec 34one tap tempo pedal so it was not that exciting.

The truth is that I would have got a Nemo if I hadn’t an Octopus already (for a while I thought of getting a Nemo on top of the Octopus).

It’s limited, limiting, the sounds are average the effects are bad [master effects only. reverb, chorus, flange], some useful stuff is hidden in menus such as the Octopus Align equivalent, duration is set for all notes, no accents on steps, no internal mono mode (no glide), neither CC control nor controllers over the sound (ADSR, Filter etc..) … and so on.. The sampling is there, totally limited [not even pitch up or down of samples], with unusually slow load times as in all Yamaha sampling products, but it’s there (in theory 3 banks of 16 1 second stereo samples).

But it has amazing usability and ergonomics, it’s totally intuitive, it’s fun. You pick it up and it’s hard to let it go, the fact that it has little speakers and it’s battery operated means that you can just pick it up and use it. I have no interest in using it as a controller, for me it’s just for the sheer fun of picking up a different instrument to play.

You are always likely to come up with something interesting (clearly within the given limits of fixed durations and dynamics).

One feature I particularly like is that you can record an improvised performance directly on the SD card and play it back, which means that you don’t need to be always connected to another machine.

It is hard to put a bit of dynamics to patterns since "pages" (blocks in TO lingo) must be switched manually and scale selection is tucked under a menu shared by all "pages". There are some utilities to copy pages and tracks (layers) literally on the fly, but I think you need some time to develop a technique to use that live.

In fact most parameters are shared by all pages, and it is really notes data that change across "pages". It is somewhat easier to do slo-mo abstract pattern with the bouncing balls and the random pages

Clearly it’s Yamaha, so it can be used as a wall clock and can play one of your song as hour chime or alarm clock (really).

If you got some cash to spare it’s worth the fun, even so I’m still thinking in the back of my mind that I could have almost got a polyevolver with that money.

I don’t think is going to be a source of eternal inspiration, in a year once I’ll be done with it my kids will love to take over (and they will let my Octopus alone).

If you have any questions, ask… (if Gabriel and Marcel don’t mind).

gseher
    Keymaster

robert wrote:
    What if we provide a way where where only the muted steps are rotated?[/quote]

That’d be it…

Adam Wilson
    Participant

zinoff wrote:

Quote:
    It’s limited, limiting, the sounds are average the effects are bad [master effects only. reverb, chorus, flange], some useful stuff is hidden in menus such as the Octopus Align equivalent, duration is set for all notes, no accents on steps, no internal mono mode (no glide), neither CC control nor controllers over the sound (ADSR, Filter etc..) … and so on.. The sampling is there, totally limited [not even pitch up or down of samples], with unusually slow load times as in all Yamaha sampling products, but it’s there (in theory 3 banks of 16 1 second stereo samples).

But it has amazing usability and ergonomics, it’s totally intuitive, it’s fun. You pick it up and it’s hard to let it go, the fact that it has little speakers and it’s battery operated means that you can just pick it up and use it. I have no interest in using it as a controller, for me it’s just for the sheer fun of picking up a different instrument to play.

If you have any questions, ask… (if Gabriel and Marcel don’t mind).

Great review, thanks. Nice to see the TO reviewed by an Octo user.

So it dramatically limited, but very inspriring. At least for a while. When it was first introduced on the web, I was VERY interested. But when the first reports of its limitations trickled in, I no longer wanted it. Love the UI and the whole approach, but it just needs a major v2.0 OS upgrade imo.

A wall clock mode? Omg…

Besides the rotate feature you requested, is there anything else from the TO that you’d like to see implemented on the Octo/Nemo? Like a top 3 of things?

Regarding getting a Nemo next to an Octopus, I’ve been considering that too. I want to do a live project with the Octopus, but since the machine is so big (which I love in the studio), maybe the Nemo is a great idea. Of course, I must be able to port my Octo songs to the Nemo, and vice versa. The other possible issue is the different UI of the Nemo. I’m not sure if it would confuse me too much.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

zinoff wrote:

Quote:
    robert wrote:
    What if we provide a way where where only the muted steps are rotated?

That’d be it…[/quote]

So what we would need is an alternative way to turn the POS knob that only rotates the mute status bit of the steps, nothing else. That is, the mute status is transferred to the previous or next step(s).

I was thinking of using the POS knob in the MIX block for that, but of course that breaks semantics. Those are used already.

gseher
    Keymaster

don’t you wish the Octopus had shift + alt + control buttons ;)

One feature I’d like to see implemented in the Octopus is clearly the wall clock.

Seriously, I’d have to think what would be portable to the Octopus paradigm. I’ll be back with that.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Maybe I’ve found a nice UI way to rotate the mute attribute, though not perfectly ‘correct’. In Page mode, and with Edit mode enabled (orange), press and hold a muted step and turn the POS knob. Afaik, this combo is still available.

And as a bonus we can do the same on normal (non muted, or green) steps. This would rotate all but the mute state, or in other words, this would roate the note data underneath the static mute lights. This is I think what Gabriel suggested.

Post edited by: robert, at: 2008/08/13 11:43

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.