Step Events

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange Step Events

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

Has anyone here figured out how they actually work? I’ve been reading the manual and trying to get these to work on a track, but I’m not understanding what it is doing. Some basics might be – each step can only have one step event, but these step events affect the entire track. Some of them only seem to affect other steps if the other steps are within a certain threshold of the original step (I’m finding this with pitch step events). I’m also trying to figure out using this to change midi channel for the track…but I’m not getting what I want. The channel of the track is channel 1, so I wanted to get jumping between channels 1,2, and 3. However, no matter how I set the main knob, which limits the offset I think, and the amount setting, I can’t get it to come back to channel 1. Well, I’m just floundering around here. Can anyone provide a better explanation than what’s in the manual?

Daniel
    Participant

Step Events

Hi droolmaster0,
    Step Events are Events in a Track which will do some action (e.g. Postion Change of all active Steps always when the Step Event will be passed by the Timeline.

Try this:
    Set some Steps in a Track. Than doubleclick on one Step (non active or active) in the Track (you are now in Step Mode). Now press f. E. the POS Button in the select row
    (near the MIX Encoders)and keep him pressed while you turn the AMT Encoder clockwise back or for. Now return to the page mode and watch your track. You see an orange LED. Always when to Timeline cross the orange step all active steps are moved to a new position (1 Step forward, if you have turn the AMT Encoder 1 Tick forwared,….). Try this with the lengh, GRV, Sta or Pitch. This give a lot of fantasic movements and changes. I hope this helps.B)

gseher
    Keymaster

Well, that much I know. But there is more to it, and I want to find out EXACTLY how it is working, which was elusive. For instance, when I set a pitch step event, at one point the pitch was changing at ANOTHER step. Other steps can be affected if they are within a certain range. And as I posted, I was very confused about how step events affected the midi channel. Even being confused by how they are working they are cool – but I’d like to use them more predictably.

gseher
    Keymaster

droolmaster0 wrote:

Quote:
    ….I’m also trying to figure out using this to change midi channel for the track…but I’m not getting what I want. The channel of the track is channel 1, so I wanted to get jumping between channels 1,2, and 3. However, no matter how I set the main knob, which limits the offset I think, and the amount setting, I can’t get it to come back to channel 1. Well, I’m just floundering around here. Can anyone provide a better explanation than what’s in the manual?

Hi droolmaster0,

select in STEP MODE, SEL -> MCH and set the AMT value to 1 and the Main Knob to 3
    you should see it jumping around between channels 1,2 and 3. However, indeed in OS 1.02 it is never turning back to channel 1 anymore. This is obviously a SW bug and it will be fix in the next SW release. Thank you for this input.

Cheers,
    Marcel

gseher
    Keymaster

Yes – thanks. I read the manual, and set it up that way, but experienced exactly what you described. But I’m still not sure what’s going on with the pitch changing on multiple steps for only one step event change. I described in more detail in an email. It’s kind of fun, but I couldn’t figure out what exactly it was doing.

Gene

gseher
    Keymaster

i do love these step events though i myself find sometimes i am not fully sure what the machine is doing.:) I think step events is a really powerfull feature , especially on direction and track position etc.With a bit of feed and effect from one track to 3 or 4 others it can get very ‘ non
    repetative ‘.Programmable directions also never fails to make me smile and choosing these via step events.The fun never seems to end.Step events to modulate Midi channnel ! i hadnt thought of that……

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.