Step atrributes – some confusion

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange Step atrributes – some confusion

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Attila Sik
    Participant

Hi guys – i just switched to 1.60 and i am a little confused :) ( nothing new really but…)

One trick i did alot is get to tracks going then simple i would add a step attribute to ‘step forward ‘ one of the tracks a step at a time each time it hit the step in question ( using position and amount knobs to add a change of position on that step )i cant seem to dot hat now…..? i think the whole step strribute . attribute map has maybe gone one step beyond my brain :)…..i just want to have one track shifting forward a step at a time or a few maybe whilst anotehr track stays where it is – so i get automatic shifting positions of steps in a track . . .has something changed as it no longer works like it use to .

gseher
    Keymaster

Confusin me too man, had started to wonder if it’s me who’s lost. It usually is. :)

Attila Sik
    Participant

yeah i hope i made sense ! i just spent some more time trying to get a simple attribute on a step to shift track position – it seems to do it once then fixes the track at that position . . .i am guessing this is pilot error or a new adjustment to how it use to work . . .i did loads of this trick of ‘position ‘ attributes on steps on a track as it played but for the life of me i cant get it to work now.

gseher
    Keymaster

After having checked, there is an inconsistency in the way the POS event is handled. Btw, the Nemo and Octopus inconsistencies differ from one another.
    Patch is on the way, but if you need some sooner relief, let me know and we will work it out.
    Cheers,
    Gabriel

Attila Sik
    Participant

thats cool gabriel , i love the simplicity of that feature but guess it doesnt look like that in code ! thanks for the quick response.Its a good excuse for me to checkout the step phrases etc.

matt

gseher
    Keymaster

Hi Matt, and everyone – the fix is ready to go – if you need it earlier than our next bug fix release, get in touch :-)
    Gabriel

Attila Sik
    Participant

thats great news gabriel , ive dropped you a mail and really appreciate the super fast fix !

matt

gseher
    Keymaster

I have found another problem with step mute. If I have set steps in a track and if i will set muted steps also in the same track normaly I press mute and than the step. The LED shows red. This do not work anymore. Why?

Adam Wilson
    Participant

The order has been reversed in v1.6x. To mute a step you grab the step first, and then press MUT. It has been discussed elsewhere on the forum, IIRC.

gseher
    Keymaster

Do you know if there’s a fast way to skip a range of steps? I often like to start with sequences of maybe 4 notes, gradually increasing as I program cool stuff into each new step. As there’s no concept of track length, it can be quite laborious to keep making these changes by all those individual button presses – is there a shortcut?
    Cheers

gseher
    Keymaster

With the new step mute behavior I can’t find a way to unmute in EDIT mode. You can mute a step but you cannot unmute, can somebody confirm?

In general I’m not yet in love with the new behavior… (I didn’t use track mutes that much)
    I tend to skip 3 or more steps, before with my right hand thumb on the mute button I could reach the last 7 steps of the first 9 tracks with the rest of the hand.
    Now it’s a two hand operation, and can mute max 4 steps in a go. Anyway I’ll get used to it.

Attila Sik
    Participant

well i am kind of in the same thing at times , i do remeber in version one of the os you adjusted track length with the length dial . . .and it was actaully a pretty crazy way to do some funky stuff.I use to love doing 16step sequences and then using length dial you could shorten them in an instant , i use to tweak length and position together for mad results.Length later was change and this feature was lost and instead you have to mute steps to adjust track length – maybe in the future we will see the track length back via simple dial as it allowsd a trick of shortening track length in rapid fire which sounds fantastic live – i wont ask to much though as i am amazed at the new os and features;)……but i think the old os1 way that track l;ength was adjusted is what your after .

Quote:
    Do you know if there’s a fast way to skip a range of steps? I often like to start with sequences of maybe 4 notes, gradually increasing as I program cool stuff into each new step. As there’s no concept of track length, it can be quite laborious to keep making these changes by all those individual button presses – is there a shortcut?
    Cheers
    Adam Wilson
    Participant

zinoff wrote:

Quote:
    With the new step mute behavior I can’t find a way to unmute in EDIT mode. You can mute a step but you cannot unmute, can somebody confirm?

Confirmed. That’s a bug that must be fixed.

The old scheme (hold MUT, then press step) really wasn’t playing nice with track mute states, so we had to change it.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

softroom wrote:

Quote:
    Cheers

Couldn’t find one. Maybe it would be possible in a next OS release to have MUT work on a range of selected steps. That is, first select one or more steps, and then press MUT on its own. Not sure if it would conflict with anything, but it would fit nicely with the current step+MUT technique.

gseher
    Keymaster

Cheers, thanks for thinking about it. I guess I’m just seeking consistency wherever possible. So if a note has a length attribute (which can be modulated), why not a track. Or if you can select multiple notes for transposition, why not for skipping (it’s not really ‘muting’). I’m probably OCD but that kind of thing appeals to me.. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.