page cluster and track tempo,

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange page cluster and track tempo,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

Hiya,
    I have more and more fun with my Octopus…. but (there’s always a but) when I change the track-tempo in one track of a page to x16 and put that page in a cluster the page switches follows the normal track-tempo. OK now I can change the page length but only to 8 cycles which is in this case only half the track. Wouldn’t it be great if I could choose which track tempo rules the page switching.
    I hope I made myself clear.
    Best wishes and thanks for your great work
    PIeter

Post edited by: lebenspuls, at: 2007/08/22 13:53

gseher
    Keymaster

Hey I assume from your description you meant that the track tempo is set *1/16* (not x16). Otherwise your track would play 128 times while page length is 8!

Without changing the way octopus works, you could just make the track tempo 1/8 and spread the track across two pages, it would be a workaround though.

Maybe a way that this could be handled (in future versions) is to designate track 0 as the "master" track of a page, so whatever tempo this track is set to, serves to define the page length "multiplier" used in GRID mode.

cheers
    JK

gseher
    Keymaster

ripe wrote:

Quote:
    Maybe a way that this could be handled (in future versions) is to designate track 0 as the "master" track of a page, so whatever tempo this track is set to, serves to define the page length "multiplier" used in GRID mode.

cheers
    JK

This is exactly what I have in mind.

Pieter

Administrator
    Participant

Well, a few things can be done already with what is on board.
    Instead of spreading things across two pages, just set the repeat value (STA) for this one page to 2 and you are all set.
    The page LEN parameter excels at controlling the precise number of steps a page will play before switching, while STA is more coarse-grained.
    Hope this is helpful.

In terms of making track 0 the "master" track, sure, it can be done technically, but I tend to oppose it because of the resulting inconsistencies with the rest of the model, such as when you start to build chains that may (or may not involve it), etc.. Interested to hear what other users think as well.

Thanks,
    Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

Thanks Gabriel! I must admit that I wasn’t yet aware of the possibilities of "page repeat". Didn’t realise that my slower track will play on while page is repeating…
    I think I have to work again and again through the manual to get it all in…
    Pieter

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.