MTC sync?

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange MTC sync?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

OK, my octopus is on the UPS truck for delivery! :) :)

I read the storyboard document on the analoguehaven website and it mentions synchronization of the Octopus to MTC. I don’t see any mention of MTC in the manual, only MIDI clock.

I am assuming that the MTC was just a typo for MIDI clock?

Thanks
    John K.

gseher
    Keymaster

Hi John,

the Octopus can be syncronized either as master or slave only by Midi Clock. The story board on analogue havens webpage is out-dated. It is one of our first documents written for the Octopus. Lot of other things do not match exactly the actual OS 1.02 version as well. The navigation guide on our website is a better choice to get the latest informations about the functions of the octopus.

Cheers,
    Marcel

gseher
    Keymaster

Thanks for clearing that up. Are you guys planning on updating the storyboard document? It actually helped me out when making a buying decision because it has some good views of the actual panel (which the navigation guide does not have).

cheers
    John K.

gseher
    Keymaster

That’s a good point John. We did not have any good or bad feedbacks from our users about that particular document. We could take the time to bring it up to date. Would somebody else appreciate to put the storyboard online again?

gseher
    Keymaster

I remember that document being quite useful when I first got my machine so it’s probably worth putting a new version up on the website… I think it’s pretty useful to new users. I guess nobody has complained as a lot of us here have had our octopii for sometime and no longer need it…

machina

gseher
    Keymaster

I like it very much. Good idea to update it.
    Pieter

Administrator
    Participant

OK guys – seems like the storyboard is up for renovation, so bear with us and watch the space!

Also, yes John, the sync mechanism of choice for Octopus is indeed MIDI Clock and not MTC (MIDI Time Code). Apologies again.

Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

I’m curious…is there any kind of MIDI Clock timing offset built into the Octopus…or could it be added as a feature? I notice when I use the Octopus as a slave to my other equipment there’s a noticeable lag…enough that I can’t work with it as a slave. I’m fine if the Octopus is the master since my MPC3000 has a MIDI Clock offset setting.

Post edited by: I SATELLITE, at: 2007/12/18 01:02

Post edited by: I SATELLITE, at: 2007/12/18 01:02

gseher
    Keymaster

Hi Satellite,
    currently there is no timing offset built in.
    Do you slave the Octopus directly to the MPC, or do you go through a longer chain? A bit more about your setup?
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?

gseher
    Keymaster

Thanks for the reply. I’m using a direct connection between the Octopus and MPC3000.

gseher
    Keymaster

hmmm… i use an mpc4000 and sometimes also an mpc2000xl as the master with the octopus and never have had any problems… i also have some very very complex midi routing stuff going on using a motu 8×8 and i’ve never had any issues – i would suggest the problem isn’t with the octopus – it’s always been rock solid for me, and as far as timing goes, i’m sure i’m pushing the limits of what is practical and still i have no problems… the mpc sounds like it isn’t sending clock properly

machina

Post edited by: machina, at: 2007/12/20 00:31

gseher
    Keymaster

–any additional hints / info on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

I must add, even though it’s probably already underway, that the presentation of the storyboard won me over too, even though I’ve long-since grown-out of it… :-)

duncan.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.