How are you working?

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange How are you working?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Gene Schwartz
    Participant

Dayflight wrote:

Quote:
    I can not see any serious timing problems using Live as a slave of octopus.B)

And you don’t need to alter the timing in Live?

Adam Wilson
    Participant

CarlLofgren wrote:

Quote:
    robert wrote:

Quote:
    And what happens with the MPC then?

It starts alright – but if I record anything (in the MPC sequencer that is) the MPC have interpreted my bangings on the pads into something quite weird.

Weird as in timing? Notes?

But that’s a problem local to the MPC, no?
    I don’t see how the Octopus in involved in this picture.

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

robert wrote:

Quote:
    CarlLofgren wrote:

Quote:
    robert wrote:

Quote:
    And what happens with the MPC then?

It starts alright – but if I record anything (in the MPC sequencer that is) the MPC have interpreted my bangings on the pads into something quite weird.

Weird as in timing? Notes?

But that’s a problem local to the MPC, no?
    I don’t see how the Octopus in involved in this picture.

Weird as in timing and notes. Both yes. We can leave out the Octopus-MPC connection at the moment, but it’s quite sure it’s not an MPC related issue. I have been syncing it with Cubase 4 for ages, and never experienced any problems like this.

But that’s besides the point.

What I am trying to understand at this point, is how Live users use their setup with Octopus. As I said – I use the Octopus as a slave and the computer as a master. With that setup I have to trim the sync offset to around 250 ms to get it right.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Maybe you already statet it, but how does the MPC behave when slaved to Live in your setup?

And what exactly is your MIDI setup? How’s the stuff connected?

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

robert wrote:

Quote:
    Maybe you already statet it, but how does the MPC behave when slaved to Live in your setup?

Hm. Let’s make things more simple by leaving out the MPC for now. It’s not the main concern anyway.

Setup. Huu… Dell laptop, Dual core, 2 GB RAM, XP Pro SP2, Alesis Firewire interface, EMU 2×2 MIDI interface, Virus TI, and of course the O. Live 7.07.

Connections goes like this

Octopus Out goes to EMU MIDI in, and EMU MIDI out goes Octpus In.

gseher
    Keymaster

CarlLofgren wrote:

Quote:
    robert wrote:

Quote:

Hm. Let’s make things more simple by leaving out the MPC for now. It’s not the main concern anyway.

Setup. Huu… Dell laptop, Dual core, 2 GB RAM, XP Pro SP2, Alesis Firewire interface, EMU 2×2 MIDI interface, Virus TI, and of course the O. Live 7.07.

Connections goes like this

Octopus Out goes to EMU MIDI in, and EMU MIDI out goes Octpus In.

You need to try and isolate the problem – as robert said – try and sync the mpc and ableton (get rid of the octopus altogether for the moment) and see if there are still timing problems (i think there will be)… or try sync the octopus to cubase – i suspect everything will be fine with cubase and there is some problem inside ableton…

250ms is a lot, it shouldn’t be anything like that – it makes me think the problem has to be inside ableton somewhere – are you using the correct ASIO audio driver in ableton? make sure you’re not using the wdm/directx driver… there must be something in the software settings that is causing the lag as the hardware seems fairly straightforward – i have much more complicated setups and have no issues with latency or lag

The other possibility is that you have got some sort of crazy midi loop that is causing problems – but i think you’d have much bigger problems if that was the case…

Post edited by: machina, at: 2008/07/24 22:13

Post edited by: machina, at: 2008/07/24 22:14

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

Yeah. I’ll try isolating the problem that way.

But you guys – you don’t need to adjust the midi offset? Not at all?

gseher
    Keymaster

Generally i don’t need a midi offset, but i rarely use ableton as a master as i generally use a hardware setup with the computer just for recording purposes. However when i do have it set up for sync purposes – it seems fine without an offset – i know that ableton’s sync can be a little unreliable though… you should see if you can get the latency on your soundcard down – sometimes this can be the problem – i’m not sure what that alesis card is like for latency, but you need to try an reduce the latency as much as possible, and then use the ableton offset to make it sync exactly right

Regardless – 250ms is gigantic – even if you need an offset, it should be only a few milliseconds either way…

are you definitely using ASIO sound drivers?

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.