Anyone using Reason as their synth source?

OS_CE Forums Octopus General Anyone using Reason as their synth source?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

Just picked up the New Classic version.

I’m interested in using the Octopus for triggering the synths found in Reason (as a giant virtual rack of gear).

I’ve had very limited success with the Octopus and Reason (although it works great with my hardware synths – like the Future Retro XS).

Anyone done this yet?

rob.

gseher
    Keymaster

No problem in that as such.
    But we can only help if you describe the exact nature of your problem. (And I find that sometimes in describing such a problem, I find the answer myself B) )

gseher
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Thanks for the response. Yesterday I wanted to prove the concept could work, so I set up the Octopus as a MIDI device in Reason 4 (master keyboard). I was hoping that I could just create a Thor synthesizer, program some notes, and have it start playing – just like it has done with my XS and Mopho.

But somehow the MIDI is not translating into note events into Reason, even though I see the Octopus is sending them.

Admittedly, I am just learning the unit – so I have limited work options to try to figure out a solution.

Ideally, my end state would look like this:

One to two pages on the octopus controlling different Redrum devices (for different drum sounds), and several other pages controlling various Synths in Reason. I think you can see the desire here? Bring my laptop and Octopus with me for live performance without having to lug my precious HW synths out with the until. I’m going for siimplicity.

I’m using an M-Audio Uno midi to USB from the Octopus to my MacBook Pro. FWIW, I can’t get Live to see the incoming MIDI from the Octopus either.

I must be missing something very basic – but I’m not a newbie at this either, so I thought I’d reach out to see if the community had done what I’m attempting as well.

:)

rob.

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    FWIW, I can’t get Live to see the incoming MIDI from the Octopus either.

Key info here! This probably means that you have some kind of problem with midi on your laptop.
    Does the name of your midi interface pop up in the relevant places in Live? (Like the box where you set midi channel on a midi track?)

Also check that you have the newest driver.

Post edited by: LDT, at: 2009/01/03 23:58

Brent Parker
    Participant

I’m using reason just fine with my nemo. You want to do the routing thru the Advanced Midi Control Panel and on the hardware interface rack device open the midi section. From there you can route channels to different devices.

Dave Oleksy
    Participant

If you are on a PC you might want to try using MidiOX. This will allow you to see the incoming/outgoing MIDI.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.