Working on Octopus reference manual. Interested?

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange Working on Octopus reference manual. Interested?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Robert van der Kamp
    Participant

Hi all,

I started work on an Octopus reference manual, written with a pure functional approach, describing the most important (imo) functions on grid, page, track and step. The idea is to use it for quick lookup of how e.g. to pause a track, or forward a step, etc. I tend to forget most of the key combos after a while.

I’m still early in the process, but would anyone be interested?

I could release intermediate versions, like v0.1, v0.2, etc.

Cheers,
    Robert

Post edited by: robert, at: 2010/05/23 11:30

Angus Byrne
    Participant

An excellent idea. I’d be happy to any proofing

Roger
    Participant

Yes, I did write a few pages of reference after the 1.62 software release, mainly to get used to the various Page Edit State(s), but I went on a bit…

I have attached it to this post.

Cheers
    Roger

PS Sorry about the large typeface but I hate having to wear glasses in the studio (must be my age!!)

[file name=OctopusUsageNotes_1.pdf size=75778]http://genoqs.net/components/com_joomlaboard/uploaded/files/OctopusUsageNotes_1.pdf[/file]

Barry J. Anderson
    Participant

Thanks for posting this! It is something that I think has been needed for quite some time. It will be a great help.

Robert van der Kamp
    Participant

That’s a nice document Roger, thanks for sharing!

My manual is written in Voodoopad on the Mac as a wiki with hyperlinks. I plan to document as many funtions-on-objects (step, track, page…) as possible, and the information described in your document will also be covered.

I will then export the whole wiki into a single doc, maybe PDF, or RTF, or HTML. Dunno yet. This idea is it allows you to quickly do a search on things like "page clear", or "track transpose".

Cheers,
    Robert

Robert van der Kamp
    Participant

Here’s an image showing the topics produced do far. I’m around page 20 of the user manual, so still a lot of work to do.

topics.jpg

Post edited by: robert, at: 2010/05/24 09:25

Johann Aldons
    Participant

great idea – thanks for your hard work robert :-)

Angus Byrne
    Participant

robert wrote:

Quote:
    That’s a nice document Roger, thanks for sharing!

My manual is written in Voodoopad on the Mac as a wiki with hyperlinks. I plan to document as many funtions-on-objects (step, track, page…) as possible, and the information described in your document will also be covered.

I will then export the whole wiki into a single doc, maybe PDF, or RTF, or HTML. Dunno yet. This idea is it allows you to quickly do a search on things like "page clear", or "track transpose".

Cheers,
    Robert

Ah. I’m a PC type so wouldn’t be able to use this.

Robert van der Kamp
    Participant

That’s why I’ll export the wiki in a format readable by all of us, like PDF or web.

Cheers,
    Robert

Angus Byrne
    Participant

robert wrote:

Quote:
    That’s why I’ll export the wiki in a format readable by all of us, like PDF or web.

Cheers,
    Robert

Nice one.

matt hillier
    Participant

super cool idea , essential actually , i was goping to do my own up of this as i can never remeber how to do chord , strums , custom directions , softsteps and the deeper stuff.

matt hillier
    Participant

ix wrote:

Quote:
    super cool idea , essential actually , i was goping to do my own up of this as i can never remeber how to do chord , strums , custom directions , softsteps and the deeper stuff.

did we get anywhere with this , i might draw up a quick chart of keypress = functions soon so you cna simple think – chord = this this this…..step phrase = 1.2.3.4 but i guess its not that easy…..

Chris Henkel
    Participant

…just to let you know that i am following your idea closely and that i am looking forward to what you will provide…

…thank you for your effort!…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.