Use tempo knob for velocity setting in edit mode

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features Use tempo knob for velocity setting in edit mode

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

I *always* find myself trying to edit a step velocity using the master tempo knob in EDIT mode.

This knob doesn’t appear to do anything while a step is grabbed in EDIT mode, so I would like to see it used for velocity. The velocity is already shown in the numeric part of the circle when in this mode so it would make sense!

cheers
    ripe

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Sounds like a good plan! If the knob isn’t doing anything, why not? Maybe mr. Big G. had other plans?

gseher
    Keymaster

Why not get used to using the dedicated VEL knob?

Forgive me, but I can not see the point in: In this state I use this knob for VEL, but in this and this state I use that knob.

Mike
    Participant

The same reason you don’t use the PIT knob to set the pitch in this state, or the LEN, if you use the matrix.

It’s about the circle becoming a dedicated area for quickly changing the values of tracks and steps… You see the pitch on the inner ring, and the velocity on the outer ring, and (step) length in the matrix in EDIT mode.

At least from the use paradigm I see, if the "value" of the parameter is being displaying in the numeric section of the circle, the master knob should modify the parameter being represented by that number. Just like setting the tempo.

How does everybody else feel about it?

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

I totally agree with Ripe,almost everytime I reach for the master tempo knob for adjusting the value that is in the outer ring.But Velocity doesn’t work,very annoying.Also when I zoom into a track velocity map neither knob seems to work and I, am reduced to double clicking,rather unergonomic.

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    At least from the use paradigm I see, if the "value" of the parameter is being displaying in the numeric section of the circle, the master knob should modify the parameter being represented by that number. Just like setting the tempo.

Ok, yes I see now how it can make sense. Not bad.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.