Two different page switching methods

OS_CE Forums Nemo New features Two different page switching methods

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I came up with another improvement idea for Nemo.

It would be really cool if there were two different page play select modes in Grid View. The regular which changes the playing page once it reaches it’s end AND another one which would work like this:
    – the page would change immediately (or actually on the next step) when the step button is pressed
    – the page would NOT start playing from the beginning, but from the point in which it would be currently playing if it had been playing all the time since the user pressed Play button

This would enable users to come up with really wild drum tracks in live shows just by pressing a few buttons on a whim. Wild D&B drums would be pretty easy to do this way if you had for example 3 or 4 very different sounding drum pages ready and then you just pressed them almost randomly.

This feature would also save the day on live situations if you accidentally pressed the wrong step button and the wrong page would start playing: you would just quickly press the right button and the wrong page would have been playing only for 0.5-1.0 seconds before the right one kicks in, playing in perfect sync and from right place. Not a big issue for the audience :)

The only problem, UI wise, is how to implement this so that the Nemo user can intuitively and quickly choose which page switch method he’d like to use. Maybe he should hold down some specific button when selecting the page to make it switch in realtime? …dunno…

Post edited by: kraku, at: 2008/10/31 22:48

Post edited by: kraku, at: 2008/10/31 22:50

Post edited by: kraku, at: 2008/10/31 22:51

gseher
    Keymaster

YES!!!

I was actually wondering if Nemo could do this already!
    IF it can’t and it is possible, this would be AMAZING. Just sick. A bit like the way Ableton’s Legato mode works. In fact the same. A really easy way to chop in fills and variations without messing with the flow of the main material.

One day I would like to dig into the OS source code… one day!

gseher
    Keymaster

another vote for this feature. Actually i wanted to suggest it myself.

the drum patterns go nuts with this feature.

gseher
    Keymaster

add another vote to this….very useful. i use this feature alot with the tenori-on. great for improv.

gseher
    Keymaster

that would be great.

strange that almost no sequencers have this possibility. the machinedrum does not..

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Maybe we could extend the Page Switch Mode feature, descriibed on page 72 of the Octo manual. What you guys want is a special version of ‘Immediate switching’. That could provide the UI needed to enable this.

gseher
    Keymaster

In that case I would question whether the immediate switching as it is should not be developed into the proposed switching mode – which is a lot more fun btw :-)

I propose further to have only one switching mode (on Nemo, for Octopus tbd) as follows:
    – when bank is not playing, activating a page in it will have that page starting on the next "1".
    – when the bank is playing, activating a page will work immediately and pick up the global locator for its tracks.

gseher
    Keymaster

why not implement all three modes?

o’clock, immediate and immediate-synced

correct me if i’m wrong but in grid mode you could press/hold a page button and use 1 of the track select buttons to indicate/switch between the modes.

so for example with a page pressed, track selector 1 green=o’clock, orange=immediate-synced and red=immediate

gseher
    Keymaster

The question is what additional value a three mode implementation would provide over a one mode value, at the cost of the complexity associated with understanding and controllong the three modes. I feel that for 5% less functionality we could get rid of 50% of the complexity and increase the fun by 100% at the same time :-)

gseher
    Keymaster

my fear is that your suggested mode will only work vertically meaning that i’ll have to use all 16 tracks to be able to chop up 4 beat patterns instead of being able to have 4 tracks dedicated to beat chopping on the horizontal plane, leaving me with 12 tracks (less when chained) for other instruments.

If i just wanted a fun toy i would have bought a tenori-on ;)

gseher
    Keymaster

OK, see your point. I think – trying to rephrase in different terms, and making sure I understand.

In my proposed method you’d have to use a single bank (button row) for the pages you want to switch between quickly, which means you have at most 16 pages that you can interchange, as there are 16 pages in a bank. In that case you would have the percussion covered by a bank (row of buttons, i.e. 16) and the other three banks (3×16 pages) free for other instruments.

I can see how it would be beneficial to remove that constraint from the banks. That would allow you to stack stuff at random. You could work around that by muting / unmuting the bank, or have an empty page play in the bank (in the last position for example..) Remember though that only the pages within the same bank are mutually exclusive at playtime.

So it’s now not clear to me – do you want to freely "switch between" pages, or freely "stack content" of pages – or both. My impression was that you area after switching, which means we need to stay within a bank.

gseher
    Keymaster

oops, i misunderstood the "bank" definition. Yes, immediate switching horizontally per bank would be great. My apologies for the confusion.

however, the o’clock style of switching is also handy, more-so with melodies. So i still believe the option to use both would be best.

I put in a few hours, (which resulted in the video) to have another look at the interface in a live situation.

How about something like a "shift" option on mutator buttons (bank-mutes) in grid-live mode when "SEL" is pressed/held. As i see it now your using "red" or "off" to indicate the mute state, so with SEL held "green" or "orange" to indicate o’clock or immediate switching for each bank?

gseher
    Keymaster

what exactly do you mean by the "o’clock" style of switching?
    is that like quantizing the timing of the switch so things stay in sync?

gseher
    Keymaster

switching on the first beat of the bar as most drum machines traditionally do. You select the target pattern at any time and the sequencer waits untill the beginning of the pattern to switch.

gseher
    Keymaster

ah ok, so as it currently works ?
    or you mean it acts to the bar rather than the beat?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.