Tenori-on tricks

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange Tenori-on tricks

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I don’t have my Oct. machine, Gabriel’s method would work fine as well, I didn’t know that the mute was a status bit…
    I thought that when you mute and unmute you "loose" the step status that was there before the mute (I haven’t been at the studio in a month and I don’t have access to my Octopus so I’m likely making this up).

The key combination is a bit unhortodox as it mixes a track property operation with selecting step… but it depends on what everyone else thinks

Thanks, /R

Adam Wilson
    Participant

zinoff wrote:
    The key combination is a bit unhortodox as it mixes a track property operation with selecting step… but it depends on what everyone else thinks
    Thanks, /R[/quote]

Yes, that’s my problem too. Let’s look for a better way.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Okay, another one. In Track mode, press and hold MUT and rotate the POS knob.

gseher
    Keymaster

That sounds ok.
    What I was thinking is whether we could start using steps as modifiers of track buttons. So you grab a track and a step (let’s say the first step [first column] ) and when you use POS you get a different flavor of POS.
    Basically using the steps as shift alt and control for a track…
    For example the Pitch knob could move in fifths if you grab a track and the first step and in fourths if you grab the track and the second step (even if a shortcut to pitches is already provided by the pitch circle).

But I don’t know if this would break some existing paradigm.

dunno…

Adam Wilson
    Participant

I like the idea of the extra step grabbing as a modifier! Definitely worth looking into.

The general issue I have with adding modifier keys though is that their introduction will cause a whole new series of button combos to be added, and I have to remember even more keyboard shortcuts.

The problem is that the front panel layout is carved in stone, no way to add buttons, and no way to have dynamic button labels. So everything extra we come up with will need some esoteric button shortcut that is not supported by the front panel. How much of these magic extras can one handle? Will the machine benefit from these new features, in the end?

Of course I love to add and use new features. Some come natural, like the added monitoring and rechanneling stuff. Some add complexity. I’m just saying that we’ll have to be careful.

gseher
    Keymaster

I like what you say. It`s sometimes not easy to remember all existing functions (how to reach it)if you use the Octo not every day or week. But some new features in the existing concept could be fine:

For example: The way how the matrix will be played.
    At present from left to right or right to left or random…. but allways within a track. Could it be possible to draw figures (cicles, squares, …) on the matrix field so that the Octo will follow this figure in different ways (forward, backward, pendulum, bounce,
    …)? It would be nice if you use the same Midi Channel for all tracks.

Is this a concept break?

Attila Sik
    Participant

gseher wrote:
    yes please !!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    Actually this behaviour could be enabled in the Octopus code in the sense that skipped steps would be locked to their respective positions. Then, changing the POS of a track would produce the result you describe. I wonder how everyone feels about this.
    Gabriel
    matt avent
    Participant

i had a tenori-on for a few months when they first came out.

was really excited when i got it but soon realised how limited it was integration-wise and sound-wise. shame cos it’s got a good (if rather flimsy) interface. sold it for more than i paid for it though which was nice :)

obviously it doesn’t come close to what the octopus can achieve (and apologies if i’m seriously duplicating what others have said) but it would be fun to implement some of the tenori-ons ‘two dimensional’ features on the octopus. the rotating 2D vector tracks (for want of a better description) and the vertically bouncing notes were particular favourites, and i’m sure we can all come up with some other modes that would fun.

or maybe i’m gonna have to learn how to program this thing… :dry:

matt hillier
    Participant

yeah i was the same , its the graphic interafce and stuff like the bounce sequencer and the one you can draw in ‘ rotating ‘ patterns on i loved and also the one where you hold steps and the closer to the bottom track they are the faster they player.I like this idea of # playing ‘ sequences.I think as someone has said whats really one avenue to explore is the use of more intuitove use of the grid in an abstract fashion , so you can draw in ‘shape ‘ directions . . .get 12 tracks going and then click a button and draw a square or any shape and the octopus triggers the steps in that shape only , stuff like this.A bounce function also would be super cool.The tenori on is something i think that could be looked at and certain stuff intergrated into the octopus , the direction rotating patterns , patterns you play via key press and the bouncing ball sequencer.be amazing to have a bouncing ball like sequencer function in the octopus

mOBiTh wrote:

Quote:
    i had a tenori-on for a few months when they first came out.

was really excited when i got it but soon realised how limited it was integration-wise and sound-wise. shame cos it’s got a good (if rather flimsy) interface. sold it for more than i paid for it though which was nice :)

obviously it doesn’t come close to what the octopus can achieve (and apologies if i’m seriously duplicating what others have said) but it would be fun to implement some of the tenori-ons ‘two dimensional’ features on the octopus. the rotating 2D vector tracks (for want of a better description) and the vertically bouncing notes were particular favourites, and i’m sure we can all come up with some other modes that would fun.

or maybe i’m gonna have to learn how to program this thing… :dry:

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.