tap tempo choices…

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange tap tempo choices…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I was wondering if anyone else here plays with other non-midi tempo musicians and the method(s) they use to set tempo?

I f tap tempo is not implemented (or did I miss that) then I am very close to spending money on something like the ploytech pedal…

I don’t remember who said they used the ploytech pedal, but if you have, do you like it? Does it work to sync with a live drummer? Any other methods? like the flame clockwork?

Or the new Moog control pedal?

Thanks

gseher
    Keymaster

I have the ploytech pedal. It works well.
    I use it mostly to sync a V-Synth XT.
    It has a merge so that you can put your keyboard signal through it and it will be merged with the clock generated from the pedal, you can tap half time or each beat, if you tap while it’s running it will either readapt slowly or immediately depending on a dip switch that you need to set up in advance (according to style).
    The batteries last forever.

Remember that you’ll most likely need to retrigger the sequencer more than once in a while.
    That depends on the skills of the musicians, the structure, the number of them and obviously the music style, and whatever other considerations you may want to make .

I have used it with a couple of bands, where it was clear that the drummer had to listen a bit to what was going on, ie. have monitors mix properly set up make a little effort, it clearly worked best for me and we could do entire songs without too much rehersal.

I have used a it quite a few times it with another band as a guest and in semi-ethnic jams and I could blend it in but had to retrigger quite a bit. In the latter, I couldn’t get more than 6 bars straight unless I was leading.

Anyway long story short, it works, your mileage may vary, if you have any other question just ask. The only gripe I have is that sometime I would prefer tapping with hand rather than with foot (is sometimes more precise and more practical depending on your setup).

I had made a request once for tap tempo on the octopus, I don’t think it was considered a priority.

gseher
    Keymaster

Thanks!!!

I appreciate very much your experience.

I have not heard a direct answer to whether or not the new moog pedal sends a midi clock that can be set via tap tempo…

or heard if the tap tempo for the Octopus is a priority yet.. nudge…. nudge… wink.. wink..

So looks like Ploytech it is…

Strange how not on the click real musicians are… They tried to get Ringo to play to a click and after listening… decided that it was a bad idea as all the feeling left the recording. We do perceive those small variances in time.

It is these small performance variables (tempo, etc..) that make an instrument a "instrument" with greater emotion. Even the great drum machines like the 808 are famous for their imperfect "groove" not their precision to some sort of perfect time.

duncan
    Participant

I’m pretty sure I have written to the forum about this before; any case, here it is again. in my studio, I often start compositions using (gasp!) a guitar.

I record a phrase into an electrix repeater, & then start to build up other parts using the other tracks in the repeater to record more guitar, bass, keyboards, w.h.y.
    then I will slave the sequencers to the repeater & begin on the step-sequence parts.

the sequencers are- P3, doepfer maq, notron, octopus. depending which one happens to best suit what I’m doing.

after I’ve figured the best tempo for the piece, I will lock it down & slave the repeater to one of the sequencers. the repeater’s own clock occasionally glitches.

duncan.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.