‘Sticky mode’ for step skipping

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange ‘Sticky mode’ for step skipping

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

This is one i brought up a while ago (i.e. about 18 months ago), but i forgot about it, but i think now it would be great… I find it quite un-intuitive and annoying to have to hold the MUT button down to skip steps in page mode –

a/ it causes the any tracks that are muted to become unmuted and vice versa (i.e. the normal page function of the MUT occurs) although you are simply trying to skip a few steps on an active track

b/ it means that you only have one hand free to skip steps – i like using this feature real-time in live performance or just jamming in the studio, but it’s not usable at the moment… i.e. while playing – skip 8 of the steps, then maybe another 4 on the next pass or whatever – timing is crucial for this type of thing and you really need both hands free…

A possible solution would be a ‘Skip’ mode, activated by, say, double clicking the MUT button, which would mean that when you toggle a step in this mode, the step is skipped, rather than muted – as far as i can tell it should be easy to implement, and i can’t see how it could affect anything else… would anyone else like something like that?

Post edited by: machina, at: 2008/08/14 14:27

Adam Wilson
    Participant

I actually like the MUT+step key combo. To me it has good semantics, even though it leaves me with only one hand to change steps.

The fact that tracks get unmuted when you just want to mute a step, that’s a problem of course, and it should be fixed. The tracks should only be unmuted when you haven’t done anything else with the MUT button.

Post edited by: robert, at: 2008/08/14 17:23

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    a/ it causes the any tracks that are muted to become unmuted and vice versa (i.e. the normal page function of the MUT occurs) although you are simply trying to skip a few steps on an active track

Never liked that either. Let´s hope for a fix.

I don´t have any problem with the way steps are muted though. But I can see the benefit of your idea if you want go nuts with step muting.

gseher
    Keymaster

OK – not quite the sticky skip mode, but how about skipping steps by holding the step button down and then clicking MUT. So it’s like the reverse order. This separates skipping neatly from the function that MUT has by itself.

gseher
    Keymaster

that would definitely be a start – the separation from the MUT button functionality is the most important part… the ‘sticky’ bit i suggested i can live without as others don’t seem too interested

Mike
    Participant

Gabriel, that sounds like a good plan to me.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

gseher wrote:

Quote:
    OK – not quite the sticky skip mode, but how about skipping steps by holding the step button down and then clicking MUT. So it’s like the reverse order. This separates skipping neatly from the function that MUT has by itself.

I was just thinking about this – can we can do this with multiple steps selected or will it be only 1 step at a time? if enabled for multiple steps, this would be even better than the sticky mode i suggested…

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:

I like it too. Perhaps someone would miss the current ability to sweep across, say, the last four steps of the track with one movement of the finger. But I would rahter have skips separated from mutes as suggested.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

While I definitely prefer the approach where you grab one or more steps first, and then apply a function (rotate a knob, press a button), the main problem right now I have with that approach is that the steps involved are toggled off the moment you grab them, and ‘fixed’ again the moment you apply the function. So if you wait a little too long between grabbing and applying the function, the composition is changed (no notes).

When grabbing a step, the step should not be toggled off on the key-down event, but on the key-up event instead, but only if during key-down and key-up no other key or rotary event was sensed. Something like that.

gseher
    Keymaster

Multiple held steps are supported, they all will skip when you touch MUT.
    The key-up scenario was on our table in the very early days, but the feel was not that good, so we chose key-down which feels more natural.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Ah yes, the feel. I didn’t think of that. It possibly indeed feels funny when pressing a step key and nothing happens… until you release it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.