Step repeat

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features Step repeat

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I was thinking whether in version 2.0 you could implement step repeat.

You already do it in some way for controllers, and it could (maybe) be done for notes….

Basically I would like to tell a step how many times it should play in it’s allotted time. So if the value is of 2 the step should play twice during it’s standard step value… am I making sense?

If I’m working with 16th line and I need two 32nd notes in one step I don’t need to specify the whole line as 32nd notes (or resort to other tricks), just need set the note repeat to 2.

I think you do this already with controllers now by sending up to 5 interpolated data messages between a step and the next (correct?). The difference is that it would apply to notes and the 5 wouldn’t be a fixed number.

Cheers,
    /R

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Basically I would like to tell a step how many times it should play in it’s allotted time. So if the value is of 2 the step should play twice during it’s standard step value… am I making sense?

If I’m working with 16th line and I need two 32nd notes in one step I don’t need to specify the whole line as 32nd notes (or resort to other tricks), just need set the note repeat to 2.

Wow, that would be fantastic! Great idea. Super with percussive sounds.

EDIT
    I haven´t looked into configuring of strum levels yet, but I have the feeling that what you are suggesting might be possible using custom strum levels (and strum set to step repeat). I will take a look at that. In any case, the strumming "engine" is doing something that comes very close. Perhaps we could just have something like a macro (shortcut) to get double, tripple and quadruple notes. So one could in a snap get the equivalent to going into step mode, selecting step chord, setting it to step repeat, turn on 2,3 or four notes and giving them the appropriate strum level.

Post edited by: LDT, at: 2008/04/23 22:03

gseher
    Keymaster

Strums are a good idea, but I don’t think you can have the same note playing twice in a chord. I’ll try.
    Cheers,
    /R

gseher
    Keymaster

Oh yes, you can! It is a sidefunction of strumming called Step repeats (manual page 80).

gseher
    Keymaster

Yes, step repeats are there as it is, and customizing the strum setting can actually give you the effect you need to play the steps at equal distances as well.

Once you define the strum behavior as you need it, all you need to do it select the cardinality of your trigger in the circle (by adding and removing triggers) and make sure to select the appropriate strum level for it as well.

gseher
    Keymaster

Just did some research here. I found that setting up the strum levels is really easy, and I got the wanted effect.
    (In the following, one step is a 16th note):
    I set up strum level 1 so with 2 notes in the "chord" I get two 32th notes in the place of one step.

I set up strum level 2 so with 3 notes in the "chord" I get three triplet 32th notes in the place of one step.

I set up strum level 3 so with 3 notes in the "chord" I get three triplet 16th notes covering the space of two steps. This is intended for "filling the space" between 8th notes. Like if you have a hihat pattern of every second step, this would make a 16th note triplets.

Very nice!

EDIT

I thought I might as well share a little audio:
    Here is a beat using strums. 8th note triplet in the hihat and some 64th notes in the tom. All in normal 16th note tracks. (It is a DRM-1 playing).

audio.jpg

Post edited by: LDT, at: 2008/04/24 20:57

gseher
    Keymaster

Thanks LDT, you helped me decode that part of the manual… I had red it on the throne a few times but I couldn’t quite figure out what it was, I had a theory of sort…

It’s pretty cool, I’ve set oneup with 64th

2 notes chord:
    *.*. (9, 16: ie, 32nd)

3 notes:
    *.**

4 notes:

All I can say now is that there are not enough strum patterns in the machine!

Cheers,
    /R

gseher
    Keymaster

And thanks for making me think of strumming in another way.

Quote:
    All I can say now is that there are not enough strum patterns in the machine!

Haha, we always want more, dont we? Well, I think I will see how it goes with those nine strum levels.

gseher
    Keymaster

Excellent – would one of you care to write up a short tutorial on how to leverage the step multi trigger feature using strum editing? I would post it along with the other tutorials in the download area.

Post edited by: gseher, at: 2008/04/27 13:39

Mike
    Participant

I’d like to see the "strum" get renamed to "arpeggiator" and get a few more arpeggiator friendly features (repeat?) :-)

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

well, interesting.. so what would all these features be? "repeat" in what sense?

Mike
    Participant

Repeat being an "on/off" parameter. It would repeat the same strum indefinitely, starting immediately after the previous strum completed.

Then whatever chord that gets entered into the track gets the same strum settings and overrides any previous repeating strum… basically arpeggiated. Maybe it is possible now by having a one step track which repeats a strum over and over (?)

Then you would want to choose additional strum patterns, up, up&down, down, random, in order etc.

A lot of work I would think?

Maybe I’m in the minority wanting an arpeggiator instead of strumming?

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

I like arpeggiators, but it seems to me that an arpeggiator´ish development would be better off in the environment of realtime scale/chord/transpose stuff that is discussed in this thread: http://genoqs.net/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=50&func=view&id=301&catid=3

gseher
    Keymaster

I see the strum patterns as a phrase patterns or motifs (as in yamaha motif).

You can already arpeggiate a chord with strum patterns. It’s just a matter of retriggering the chord.
    Sure it’s no arpeggiator, but I have quite a few devices that can arpeggiate here (besides my fingers which are pretty rusty these days) that I don’t feel the need for another one… but different artists different needs…

Cheers,
    /R

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    would one of you care to write up a short tutorial

I tried twice… but I failed…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.