Respond to MMC controls

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features Respond to MMC controls

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

I’d like to be able to use a transport control or footpedal to engage recording mode, which is usually done via MMC (MIDI machine control).

If the Octopus responded to the basic MMC commands (start, stop, record punch-in, record punch-out, pause) we could use any number of external controls for the transport.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

I second that

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Does MMC also provide a command for track record-select? Afaik, it does…

Mike
    Participant

Yes, you are right. It allows for record ready commands by track. It uses a bitmask to specify particular tracks. That would be a nice feature also ;)

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yes, you are right. It allows for record ready commands by track. It uses a bitmask to specify particular tracks. That would be a nice feature also

Could you explain a scenario where you use this feature? I am not sure what you are talking about.

Mike
    Participant

For me, it means I could use a foot controller (via MIDI) to enable/disable recording, which frees up my hands to perform correctly when punching in.

The track arming is less important for me, but it should be trivial if adding the other functionality at the same time.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    The track arming is less important for me, but it should be trivial if adding the other functionality at the same time.

But it was that part I was wondering aboutB)

gseher
    Keymaster

I would like the Octupus to send MMC,so that I could use
    it as my main transport control.

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I would like the Octupus to send MMC,so that I could use
    it as my main transport control.

As it is now, you just sync whatever you need to sync to the Octo using MTC. Then start and stop on the Octo is the main transport control. Or are you still missing something?

Mike
    Participant

I can see a nice use for sending MMC as well.

The octopus *doesn’t* send MTC currently, it sends MIDI clock, along with MIDI start and stop.

MTC is a time based protocol, while MIDI clock is tempo based.

With MMC you can control the transport on a sequencer or multitracker, which could still be acting as the MIDI clock master.

We would need to be able to designate whether the Octopus is MMC master or slave.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

As Ripe says,I could then use the Octopus as the transport for Cubase. Also including MMC may allow the page repeats to reset to 1 when you stop and start.
    Which I think they should anyway,as when I record into
    cubase I keep forgeting to go in and reset every page,which is a pain in the ass.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.