Octopus or Nemo?

OS_CE Forums Octopus General Octopus or Nemo?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Capon
    Participant

Hi Guys,

The Nemo is quite a bit cheaper that the Octopus especially with the sterling exchange rate.

How much of a cut-down Octopus is it? What would I be missing out on?

Any help would be appreciated.

All the best

Andy

Roderick van Erp
    Participant

Simply…go to the products page -> Nemo -> Technical Data

You will see a comparison chart over there which gives an indication about the differences between the Nemo or Octopus.

Andrew Capon
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I did have a look at it but it doesn’t seem to have much detail.

I have downloaded both manuals and am reading through them maybe that will shed some light on the chart!

Andy

matt avent
    Participant

I think the choice would largely depend upon how complex the music you’e making is and how many instruments you want to control.

I’m using my octopus to control about half a dozen drum machines and about a fifteen midi synths/effects. I think it would still be possible on a nemo but it would probably be too much like hard work.

If you only make tracks with a handful of parts you’ll probably get away with the nemo. If you’re greedy like me get an octopus!

rachel polanskis
    Participant

I’m greedy too. I see the Octopus as a master sequencer in a large setup, where you have
    lots of sound sources you want to drive via MIDI more or less solely from the Octopus.

The Nemo is a desktop size model of the same thing, but technically, it has less tracks/pages
    so it is less powerful in that regard. I somehow always visualise the Nemo as something laptop
    users go for, but that is not neccessarily so. I personally went for the Octopus because I am greedy
    and because I could and mostly because it solves my music workflow, making it lots of fun!

rachel

Andrew Capon
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I have had a look through the manual and the Nemo seems as well as having less tracks to have less editablility as well.

Both look very interesting but I don’t think I can justify the cost of the Octopus with the current exchange rate even if it is the one I most desire.

Maybe the Nemo is for me.

Cheers

Andy

Ben Phenix
    Participant

Come on, Andy, get greedy. The Octopus will make a nice companion with the Pacarana :)

Actually, I think the Nemo would be plenty ok most the time, but I sure do love having the vampire in its full glory sitting at the center of my setup.

Andrew Capon
    Participant

Hi,

Are you the same bphenix from electro-music?

Too late the nemo arrives today :)

I spoke to Gabriel over email and the internal processor and memory board of the Nemo are the same as the octopus.

This means the current 16 track limitation (and the other limitations) are due to interface issues on the nemo (less buttons), Genoqs are thinking about and discussing expanding the Nemo nearer to the octopus in functionality.

That swung it!

Cheers

Andy

Post edited by: BobTheDog, at: 2009/07/17 07:26

Ben Phenix
    Participant

Yup. It would be pretty rare to find another phenix, much less b.phenix since there is fewer than 1,000 of with that last name (at least in the US). :)

Enjoy the Nemo.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.