Octopus dead after upgrade attempt

OS_CE Forums Octopus Support Octopus dead after upgrade attempt

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Ben Phenix
    Participant

ugh. I don’t have a windows machine handy. I wonder if it will work via Parallels + Windows? I guess I’ll have to try.

I had the same problem Barry did and had tried both 1.62 and 1.60 and failed as well.

I’d love for Genoqs to identify the problem as I hate for this to happen to others or again in the future. I was upgrading from the last beta (v16108) and had loaded v16106 before that without any trouble.

Ben Phenix
    Participant

Finally had a chance to try via Windows XP via Parallels. It worked on the first try. Happy to have my Octopus back!

If anyone needs help getting it to work, feel free to drop me a note. Per usual, there was a few unclear pieces of information in the documentation.

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

Has anybody been able to update OS via usb, using a mac?

Gabriel Seher
    Participant

Not sure if I count, but yes.. it worked fine on my end. MBP 2,33 GHz, OSX 10.5.7
    (I have not updated to 10.5.8 just yet)
    Gabriel

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

Good! And you did EXACTLY as the (very nice) instruction says? Same terminal software etc?
    I am just sooo not keen on trying it on windows, unless somebody could totally walk me through.

Barry J. Anderson
    Participant

I followed the instructions exactly but was not able to get it to work on my mac. I have a previous generation Macbook Pro 2.6 with 4gigs of RAM running OSX 10.5.7. I used the same terminal software mentioned in the instructions.

Doing the update on windows is not really different, you just have to get the right driver.

Ben Phenix
    Participant

Yes but the question is was Gabriel’s dead like ours when he tried? At least per his email to me, it wasn’t so I am not sure that is a valid result in this particular case.

I tried in Mac OSX 10.5.7 & .8 without success tried at least a half dozen times and got the same failure others reported. Booted up into Windows via Parallels on the exact same machine and it worked on the first try.

The process was pretty much exactly the same on the windows as on OSX. Both require a driver to be installed. Windows happens to have the terminal pre-installed where on Windows you go download zTerm.

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

Ah, I managed the usb update from a pc. There were a few guesses I had to do, but at least I now have a procedure that I think I can repeat if things should go bad some other time.
    Good to have the Octo back to life!

TOM PRATHER
    Participant

Hello,

I’ve been watching this particular topic with interest over the past few weeks, because I have been unable to load 1.62 into my Octopus. Has anyone here been able to load it the old fashioned way with sysex via midi? Is it still a good idea to stick to the beta version for now?

paul
    Participant

I just made the mistake of trying to update from 1.60.32 to 1.62 without reading the forum. OOOPS Dead Machine . Did anyone resolve this by sysex alone,as I am not keen to delve into Hex programing.

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    I am afraid that you must go through the usb update procedure. Don´t worry though. Get the usb pdf help file and take your time. Windows or mac?

paul
    Participant

Hi LTD, I’m on Windows XP,but have many services turned off,as its a non=net music PC,do some need to be on ?

also I seem to remember the PDF presumes the machine is responsive no?
    and I am scared by the warnings of ‘inoperable machine’ …..even though I have one !

also I am using a free floating power system,ie no earth.So I have seen this behavior before,but this time it seems to be a code problen not a power problem.

anyway,

unfortunatley I use internet cafe’s and will be off line for a few days so will probably wait for more input

thanx

Barry J. Anderson
    Participant

In my case, after the initial attempt at upgrading to 1.62 via sysex, my machine was totally nonreponsive. On powerup, there were no lights at all. It appeared to be totally dead. However, by following the instructional pdf for the usb update, I was able to see a response from the Octopus in the terminal software. So, your Octopus may look nonresponsive, but you should be able to get it going by performing the usb update. The update is easy if you follow the instructions exactly.

I was not able to update with my mac, but the update works great with a windows machine, so you should be fine.

Post edited by: Oxix52, at: 2009/09/13 19:58

Gabriel Seher
    Participant

Interestingly enough, all I am ever using is a Mac machine on currently OS X 10.5.7. Our suspicion is that these problems that some Macs have may be related to USB drivers on the Mac platform. The latest OS X update (10.5.8) was released not too long ago. While we have tried to replicate any problems with both 10.5.8 and 10.5.7 without success, there slowly appears to be some sort of pattern where the Macs seem unreliable for the operation. This is just to let you know that we are not sitting and watching but unfortunately could not pin it down yet to a particular problem in any of the system components involved.

rachel polanskis
    Participant

It may well depend on how the Mac is being connected via USB – direct from the machine,
    through a hub, or on the keyboard/peripheral connections.

I can’t drive certain gear on my Mac through one port while the others work fine, for example.

If you are not doing so already, connect your Mac via a direct USB port.

rachel

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.