note offsets as notes in step mode?

OS_CE Forums Nemo User exchange note offsets as notes in step mode?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I’m finding the note offsets increasingly frustrating. Is there a reason why the Nemo does not show the note values as absolute notes in step mode?

Post edited by: chaosmoon, at: 2008/12/21 22:12

Hans Landman
    Participant

maybe its supposed to help train your music theory skills?

what is the note that is 7 half steps from A#?

I agree BTW- notes should be absolute- but I’m happy to be a musician as well.

If Genoqs is planning on fixing this, I’d have one of the LED colors be octave, and the other be absolute note.

gseher
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback chaosmoon and steve – interesting discussion indeed!

This is not a technical issue, displaying the absolute value can be built in quickly. The question is though what the shown "absolute" value actually means.

I am assuming you are after the sum of Track pitch and Step pitch. However, that value will not be always "true". Problem is that pitches may be modified at runtime by an effector track, or possibly by other means (in the near future).

From that respect, showing the offset to the track offset is imo. the more accurate piece of information. Any more opinions on this please?

Cheers,

Gabriel

Jordi
    Participant

I was foolishly going to point out that the absolute pitch appears in the note circle, and then I realized you were talking about the Nemo. Yeah, I understand Gabriel’s point about modifiers but I can also sympathize with it being a trifle frustrating as is. Maybe you could offer a toggle on the Nemo OS between having it display the step offset only or the step/track total, that might be practical. I don’t see it not accounting for other pitch modifications to be an issue, myself – just having the step + track pitch shown would be enough.

gseher
    Keymaster

Absolute value to me would be track+step value as Adam stated. A toggle (PIT led color in track mode?) between the functions would be great as i’m sure the advantages of your method will dawn on me as i get to know the machine better. Having these "absolute" values would make the earlier stages of composing easier for me.

Hans Landman
    Participant

suggestion for absolute pitch mode

how about if track pitch is middle C, then pitch mode is absolute, not relative- and it if its any other pitch, then its relative?

btw check out my nemo video on http://modularland.com

top video just posted

gseher
    Keymaster

correction, absolute could be page+track+step value. I had another look at it yesterday and i do appreciate the offset, but sometimes when stuff gets layered on top of each other and i lose my way, i just want to know which note is playing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.