New method for muting steps – track length

OS_CE Forums Octopus General New method for muting steps – track length

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I much preferred the old way. If you wanted to simply make one line 9 steps for instance, you could just hold the mut button, and drag your finger along the track from 8 through 16. Now you have to hold the step button first and then hit the mut button, and it takes longer.

Jordi
    Participant

There was a conflict with the way the mute recall worked the old way, I believe.

But I agree: we need a way to easily set track length.

gseher
    Keymaster

yeah – this is driving me crazy right now. And I started out crazy.

gseher
    Keymaster

Would it help for now to still allow the old mode of operation? Yes, it has flaws, but people seem to like it for the speed. Just a thought.
    Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

I’m fine with the earlier mode of operation, but I don’t think I’ve ever used the mute recall function (if indeed that’s where the conflict is).

gseher
    Keymaster

lol. i hate the old way – the new way has made the machine much more usable for me… the old way is only usable if you never have tracks muted – and i (and i would expect most people) have got muted tracks all the time – especially if you use the octopus live…

please don’t go back to the old way! perhaps the ‘sticky’ mode i suggested a while back is a workaround, but the old way is basically accepting a bug as far as i’m concerned. if you have tracks muted, there is no way at all to skip steps without screwing everything up big time – that’s a far bigger and more serious problem than the current speed issue imo…

Post edited by: machina, at: 2008/11/15 03:11

gseher
    Keymaster

That is precisely where the conflict is. So it seems that building a version which allows both ways of operation is the way to go for now.
    Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

I remember discussing this with you a long time ago, and don’t remember the answer – but why not have a track length parameter that is separate from the step muting? But if you did implement it, I promise that I will ask that it be a modulation destination.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

I think the old way is a no no. I agree it was easier to mute a range of steps using the old way, and we should find some way to have that again. But the way th MUT button was used in the old way simply conflicted with the track mute behavior. The old way to mute steps is simply bad.

gseher
    Keymaster

OK – so there is sure some conceptual work to be done here until we have the solution that includes track length modulation and what not. Point taken :-)

But for the time being life goes on and people want to use the machine until then.

So again, what speaks against -intermediarily- having step skips work both the old way and the new way. Fortunately they do not conflict, the old operation mode (MUT+Step) does not do anything right now. Let me know.
    And I repeat – "intermediarily".

Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

i can’t think of any bad implications of that… it should be fine for the time being…

gseher
    Keymaster

However this is implemented I would like to see the track length set by a rotary encoder and not by pressing steps…

I hate multiple button pushing… but maybe pressing the len button + turing len encoder on a selected track sets it’s length? or some such thing…

gseher
    Keymaster

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    Using the LEN encoder on a track currently modifies the LEN factor the track. It looks like the only way to do it is separate more rigurously between the actual attribute value and the factors for the step offsets.
    So bottom line: bring Track LEN encoder back to modifying the track length, and make sure it can be modulated ;-)
    Going back to the whiteboard now..
    Cheers, Gabriel

gseher
    Keymaster

gseher wrote:

Quote:
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    Using the LEN encoder on a track currently modifies the LEN factor the track. It looks like the only way to do it is separate more rigurously between the actual attribute value and the factors for the step offsets.
    So bottom line: bring Track LEN encoder back to modifying the track length, and make sure it can be modulated ;-)
    Going back to the whiteboard now..
    Cheers, Gabriel

Occasionally people ask on various forums for comparisons between various sequencers….one of the things that I will mention is the incredible level of user support that Genoqs provides. I’m not sure that I’ve ever seen better. (Colin Fraser is great too, actually).

gseher
    Keymaster

I may be minority here…anyway

What happens to the track LEN factor if we reallocate it to the track length?
    That is how do we go about playing with notes duration quickly?

Could we still shorten the track from the head instead of tail? and skip steps?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.