multiple h/w sequencers & timing

OS_CE Forums Octopus General multiple h/w sequencers & timing

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    duncan
    Participant

:-)

he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it! he’s fixed it!

I’m sat here with a colin-fraser-midi’d tb303 as my master clock & the octopus is staying perfectly in time with it from 50bpm to around 160bpm…. I’m really too tired to be more scientific about this right now, but "early results are encouraging". there’s also a P3 in the rig, & all three are locked together fine now. I reading the bpm from the front of a line-6 echo pro.

BY THE WAY- I forgot this, & wasted half-an-hour, because the genoqs "elf loader" doc hasn’t been adjusted… if you’re using zterm on a mac, you need to go to the files>transfer convert menu & change it to ordinary binary or you’ll get an unknown image response from the octopus.

erm…. anyone want to buy some delay boxes?

duncan. very happy.

Carlos Dalla-Fiore
    Participant

Very, very good to hear.
    Does anyone have a link to instructions on dealing with these elf files?

I’d like to add i’ve had very good results syncing my hardware boxes to Ableton Live with this free project:

http://users.telenet.be/darffader/rv0/

It outputs sync24 (from a soundcard with DC-coupled outputs) so you need something to efficiently turn that into midi clock. I’ve had good results with a KMS-30, but the (relatively cheap) TR-707 and 727 boxes are very good at turning sync into midi clock; And good fun to jam with too..My 707 has a 25 pin sub-d connection to fry its brain with a patchable bend box when i get tired with the stock sounds.

He just released an AC version which should work with standard soundcards using tape-sync. Again you’ll need a box like the KMS or 707 that can deal with it though.

duncan
    Participant

the official "elf-loader" instructions are in the software downloads section of this site (i.e. not with the other documentation but with the O/S files).

I had to use them about six months ago, & provided you follow them to the letter, they work very well. however, if you are using a mac & zterm, there is that one line missing about files>transfer convert I mentioned….

it is a weird experience talking to the octopus over a serial link… :-)

d.

john Kimble
    Participant

OK, I think the Nemo OS successfully built. I have no way to test it… let me know if this works:

http://www.socialentropy.com/studio/NEMO_162_jk03.elf

cheers
    ripe

Carlos Dalla-Fiore
    Participant

great, thanks!

i’ll report back as soon as its tested.

Carlos Dalla-Fiore
    Participant

it worked!

You have to replace "OCT_OS.elf" with "NEMO_OS.elf" in "Write the OS ?le from RAM to FLASH" step.

In my tests the midi clock is now consistant over varying BPM’s but it appears that the NEMO is early when midi-slaved.

I tested with Ableton Live as master playing a sample and running the DC sync unit plug-in from a Motu 828MK2 to an old Korg KMS-30 which converted the sync24 to midi-clock.

The second test was directly connecting a TR-707 with the NEMO running master and slave. Here you can hear that the NEMO is early when slaved but in time when master.

NEMO synctest files

Post edited by: chaosmoon, at: 2010/10/22 01:34

Post edited by: chaosmoon, at: 2010/10/22 01:34

Post edited by: chaosmoon, at: 2010/10/22 01:36

Carlos Dalla-Fiore
    Participant

the files are mp3’s with the Nemo running synced with Live at varying tempos and 2 files with the midi sync to 707

Hans Landman
    Participant

Wow, that solved a major headache, I thought the timing errors were quite annoying!
    Thanks Duncan, Fairplay and Ripe for making this work!
    I will have a go at updating my Octopus this weekend (did it before with Ripe’s earlier builds, so I’m pretty confident it will turn out ok).

Post edited by: Hanz, at: 2010/10/23 13:44

TOM PRATHER
    Participant

meanwhile, where are gabriel & marcel?

Exactly…:unsure:

How long is this -non- presence here going to continue?

If this really is the fix it appears to be, it needs to be implemented in an official version of the software.

Considering how difficult and problematic it was for me to install 1.62, I’m a little nervous about trying this just yet.

Other user reports about this version are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Barry J. Anderson
    Participant

I installed this version the other day. While i haven’t tested to see if the sync is better, I can tell you it installed without problem and the Octopus seems to be running fine. I used my macbook pro to install it with xterm.

Hans Landman
    Participant

Well, it installed OK for me, using USB update (which has become somewhat of a routine by now :D).
    Only hickup turned out to be that Win7 no longer has Hyperterm onboard, which is needed for the upgrade. However, I used Hyperterminal Private Edition trial succesfully http://www.hilgraeve.com/hyperterminal.html

Unfortunately I don’t have much time right now to test it out, that will surely come in due time.

Post edited by: Hanz, at: 2010/10/24 14:52

duncan
    Participant

regarding the absence of gabriel & marcel from this discussion, & the way we’ve managed to describe, diagnose & fix the problem ourselves, I’m now wondering if this little o/s time-bomb was a test of the viability of making the hardware run on open-source code…. see if the users can support it themselves.

or else they’ve just got bored with it. :-/
    d.

Post edited by: duncandisorderly, at: 2010/10/24 20:02

I’m *extremely* grateful to Ripe for his efforts. Thank you!!

It will be great if the "jk" Octopus OS bugfixes for the 1.62 release can be offered for Nemo eventually.

TOM PRATHER
    Participant

I decided to go ahead and give this a try. It loaded up flawlessly!

Big thanks to Ripe!!!

I did a quick test this evening, and found the following (on my system).

With Octopus as master, running simple 16th notes into Digital Performer – the recorded midi notes lined up almost perfectly. Just some micro variations off the 16th note grid.

With Octopus as slave, same test. Recorded midi notes are all a bit early on the grid …???

Not sure what to make of this? Any chance these changes to the OS only benefit when the Octopus is the Master in some way???

The programming of this thing is so far beyond my ability or comprehension, that I can only throw out guesses at this point…

Carlos Dalla-Fiore
    Participant

these were my findings with the Nemo build aswell. It seems the machines are early when slaved.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.