Modulating tracks at different speeds.

OS_CE Forums Nemo User exchange Modulating tracks at different speeds.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Darin
    Participant

Track 1, speed 1/4x, acting as a feeder with some step pitch offsets.

Track 2, speed 1, acting as a listener.

Every step with an offset in track one only influences one step of track two (at the time both steps are run over by the chaselight). I expected the pitch modulation to last four steps, bearing in mind the 1:4 relationship between their tempi.

A graph will possibly explain this better than words:

nemograph-2.jpg

1 – Pitch offsets on Track 1 (speed 1/4x). M stands for Muted step.

2 – Pitch offsets on Track 2 (speed 1x).

R – Modulation result Tr1->Tr2.

I guess that this isn’t really a bug, but it would be very useful if a track could modulate more than one step of another track if they are running at different speeds.

For instance, if you want to transpose a sequence in a periodic fashion, this would help to save track and grid slots. It sounds to me this would be a more musical and creative layout than the current one.

I hope I have explained it well. Would it be possible to implement such a behaviour?

Jordi
    Participant

You explained that amazingly well and I agree with you that I would expect it to function as you did.

Darin
    Participant

Thanks, at least that’s the way some step sequencers work and a technique I’ve found very useful in the past.

gseher
    Keymaster

I totally agree, I expected that also.
    I wanted use it like automated track pitch changes, so each step of the feeder sequence alters the pitch + whatever else of the listener track, until the next step in the feeder track.
    However when i tried to do this I got similar problems.. only worked when the steps are at the same time – not what I expected.

gseher
    Keymaster

I totally agree, I expected that also.
    I wanted use it like automated track pitch changes, so each step of the feeder sequence alters the pitch + whatever else of the listener track, until the next step in the feeder track.
    However when i tried to do this I got similar problems.. only worked when the steps are at the same time – not what I expected.

gseher
    Keymaster

Good point! Thanks for bringing it up. Added to the to-do list.
    Gabriel

Dan Godlovitch
    Participant

Is this something which eventually got worked out?

Julian Parker
    Participant

It’s not in 1.62, but if Gabriel is into it I’m sure it will come soon enough.

Jordi
    Participant

Hopefully. I’ve been trying several workarounds for this particular issue, but it would be nice to have it implemented.

Dan Godlovitch
    Participant

Can you do it by playing around with note length on the feeder track?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.