Midi record re-channel question

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features Midi record re-channel question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Adam Wilson
    Participant

Hi all,

I just read in the manual that when recording MIDI data from a keyboard, the MIDI channel of the data emitted by the keyboard must match the channel of the track being recorded on the Octo. Or in other words, the Octo does not re-channel incoming MIDI data to the channel of the currently recorded track.

Is this still the case?

I have a Clavia synth here that I was planning to use as the main input device for the Octo. But it only has 4 parts, to it’s only easy to select 4 different output channels.

If this is still the case, I can see why this is needed for multi-track recording. How else would the Octo be able to tell where the incoming data is to go. But when recording only a single track, I see no need for this strict approach, and data of any MIDI channel could/should be accepted.

Or do I miss anything?

gseher
    Keymaster

The channel match requirement is still in place. I actually like what you are suggesting indeed. The channel can automatically fit the channel of the incoming MIIDI data.
    However, it may require a bit more discipline on the user end as well. Let’s say you want to overdub a track and you send it data cross the worng channel you will mistakingly change its MIDI channel.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

gseher wrote:

Quote:
    The channel match requirement is still in place.

Ouch. ;)

Gee, how do you guys cope with a setup with several pieces of gear. For example, a drum machine on channel 15. Do all of you have a master keyboard and actually change channel on the keyboard before you can access the drum machine via the Octo? That sounds like work! ;)

Quote:
    I actually like what you are suggesting indeed. The channel can automatically fit the channel of the incoming MIIDI data.

I was actually thinking the other way around, as found on DAWs: when selecting a midi track for record in Live or Logic, the DAW will accept incoming MIDI data from whatever channel, and ‘re-channel’ the data to the channel number assigned to the DAW’s selected track. (In reality, the DAW may even remember the original MIDI channel number, and when the track’s channel is set to All’ it will output on that original channel number.)

So when I select an Octo track for record, and the Octo track is set to channel #5, and it records MIDI data emitted by a keyboard over MIDI channel #3, the data will end up on the track having MIDI channel #5, as defined for that track.

Quote:
    However, it may require a bit more discipline on the user end as well. Let’s say you want to overdub a track and you send it data cross the worng channel you will mistakingly change its MIDI channel.

Yes, that’s why I think my suggestion (have the incoming data changed to the Octo setting) is the preferred one. Don’t you agree?

Post edited by: robert, at: 2008/05/02 17:52

Post edited by: robert, at: 2008/05/02 17:53

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I was actually thinking the other way around, as found on DAWs: when selecting a midi track for record in Live or Logic, the DAW will accept incoming MIDI data from whatever channel, and ‘re-channel’ the data to the channel number assigned to the DAW’s selected track.

Exactly. I too was a bit surprised to find that I had to change the channel that was going into the Octopus. In my setup it is fairly easy for me to change the channel, because it is routed via a track in Ableton, but if you just have a typical synthesizer going into the Octopus it would be a real pain.

Quote:
    So when I select an Octo track for record, and the Octo track is set to channel #5, and it records MIDI data emitted by a keyboard over MIDI channel #3, the data will end up on the track having MIDI channel #5, as defined for that track.

Exactly. This would really boost the intuitiveness (if that is a word) when recording. The only thing (as I see it) that it would conflict with is multitrack (different midi channels) recording. Maybe we could just keep the current mode as a secondary mode (double click on record?).

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Yes, the multi-track record mode needs a different approach. That’s why I (IIRC) suggested to use the current approach for multi-track record (every track only accepts data with matching MIDI channel number), and the suggested re-channel record mode when only a single track is involved, which for me would be in 99.999% of the cases. :)

Post edited by: robert, at: 2008/05/05 21:34

Mike
    Participant

This was very similar to my rechannelize request from awhile ago, except mine was based on the EDIT/preview mode, rechannelizing the Octopus (echoed) output to the last selected track channel.

Rechannelizing either in record mode (should work when record enabled, but not playing also) or in preview is critical for me because the Octopus has two MIDI outputs and there is not an easy way to route my controller to 32 MIDI channels ;-)

I actually implemented this quickly in my own build of the OS, so it is possible, and I’m sure Gabriel has his own well-thought out recommendations and possibilities for an official rechannelize feature.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    which for me would be in 99.999% of the cases

Ditto:lol:

Mike
    Participant

The other way that would work for me is if the MIDI input is *never* echoed (except incoming clock).

Then I could route my controller to the octopus, and also merge the controller with the output of the octopus. Although this would not be as elegant as a nice channelize feature ;)

cheers
    ripe

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Isn’t this topic a new-feature request, really? ;)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.