Logic and Octopus Integration

OS_CE Forums Octopus General Logic and Octopus Integration

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

Hi,
    has anyone got any tips on getting Logic Studio 8 and the octopus integrated, e.g. invironment tips and midi routing. I have a few keyboards and drum machines, and it would be great to control all of them by Logic and the Octopus without having to physically change any cabling.

Thanks

gseher
    Keymaster

Midi routing can get quite complicated with multiple modules and dual sequencers, not to mention the controller inputs. You might want to pick up an old s/h programmable midi patchbay. If you can find one, it should be dirt cheap, but it will make your setup about hundred times easier. Or rather: It will let you do exactly the midi routing you want. E.g one setup for Octopus control, and one setup for Logic control.

gseher
    Keymaster

yeah – i agree – this sort of thing is near impossible without decent midi routers/patchbays – i have 2 motu timepieces that I route my mpc4000, octopus and computer through to all my other gear… all synths can be controlled by all sequencers (octopus can also trigger stuff in the mpc and computer)…

the routing can be very complicated, but it’s well worth it… i particularly like the motu midi routers as they can do full midi merge on all channels – this helps a lot…

gseher
    Keymaster

Thanks LDT & Machina.

That was the route I took, but I’m got my second MTP AV, which has failed (just like the 1st – blank / malfunctioning screen & no midi routing going on), so my impression of them isn’t too great at present !
    I was gonna get a Unitor, but I think they’re serial, which also means the software’s old and probably not support on OSx.

Maybe I’ll just send the MTP back and try again – 3rd time lucky !

At least I’m going down the right approach – as you guys have confirmed !

Cheers :)

Mike
    Participant

I use two of the M-Audio MIDIsport 8×8 as a good routing/merging patchbay. It is discontinued, but they show up on eBay.

It can function in standalone mode, and only needs to be connected to the PC for patchbay programming. Of course it also works as a MIDI interface…

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

Use an AMT8 or an UnitorMK2. They have usb connections. You can use Logic as a dedicated midi router and you have also the ability to record all Octopus output straight into Logic. The environment is very flexible and you can create your setup anyway you want.

Let’s say the Octopus is sending out notes on all 16 channels on a single midiport. In Logic you can connect a "channel splitter" object with a certain input (your Octopus input in Logic that is). Per channel on the channelsplitter you can connect an "instrument" of your choice. Done.

gseher
    Keymaster

^motu’s all have usb too… (apart from the ancient ones)

gseher
    Keymaster

Never used Logic myself for any projects, but I have two Kawai MAV-8 Midi Patchbays. Each one has 4 assignable inputs and 8 outputs. The beauty is each channel has a physical slider to set for the routing. No piles of hidden routing tabels. I run one Octopus output into one of them and then have all my drum modules and percussion sources available to trigger off those channels and the other Octopus midi out goes to the other MAV-8 which goes to the synth modules/effects/computer midi in (trigger softsynths, or cells in Ableton ala NI Battery). The Akai MPC, Computer midi out (through a MOTU 828 MK2) and a few other randoms get fed to the other inputs between the two.

I don’t think I’ve ever re-recorded the midi data pouring out of the Octopus. I just record all the audio that’s being created.

gseher
    Keymaster

Yes the Channel Splitter Method works in Logic. The only bad think with Logic 8 is that it do not accept Midi Clock in. So Logic can not be a Slave of Octopus.:evil:

gseher
    Keymaster

I used to use a MOTU MidiExpressXT in my previous setup (the old model), and it worked wonders.

Unfortunately is serial parallel port only, and I’m now using my AMT (which was in the closet for a long time.

AMT can only reroute from port to port (not rechannelize), so it cannot work as a proper standalone patch-bay, and at least on PC they have at times some timing problems over USB (that’s why it was closed in a closet).

Anyway I managed to set up a fairly complex routing in Cakewalk (and a slightly simpler one with Live) in an hour or so, I now have a nice map with which instrument channels responds to what Octopus channel. So I don’t think it would be a problem with Logic.

With this set-up I do save the midi together with the audio, as a precaution and because usually I don’t really need to save the pages in the Octopus.

Anyway, I’d like to work less with the computer, so I’ve got a saved search on ebay for motu midi express xt (usb) [ain’t got spare pci ports].

gseher
    Keymaster

tonewrecker wrote:

Quote:
    Never used Logic myself for any projects…

I don’t think I’ve ever re-recorded the midi data pouring out of the Octopus. I just record all the audio that’s being created.

I use Logic as my main studio environment, midi, audio and video. I was trying to figure out a way of routing betwteen Logic and the Octopus, I have a number of ‘real’ synthesisers which I want both machines to access through my Unitor8 and AMT, but I want to keep the Octopus ‘live’, ie I don’t want to record midi data into Logic, just the audio. The splitter idea sounds like the way forward, plus I want to keep Logic the master so I’ll clock the Octopus from that.

Post edited by: deviousnoise, at: 2008/11/07 12:49

gseher
    Keymaster

Can I jack both MIDI ports 1 & 2 into my AMT-8
    and then access all 32 channels of the Octopus
    (via channel splitters on each Port) without anything
    getting confused? I have lots of free ports as I
    have 2xAMT-8 plus a Unitor. I have not decided yet
    whether to make Logic or the Octopus Sync master, either. Mine should be here by December!

rachel

gseher
    Keymaster

rachel wrote:

Quote:
    Can I jack both MIDI ports 1 & 2 into my AMT-8
    and then access all 32 channels of the Octopus
    (via channel splitters on each Port) without anything
    getting confused? I have lots of free ports as I
    have 2xAMT-8 plus a Unitor. I have not decided yet
    whether to make Logic or the Octopus Sync master, either. Mine should be here by December!

Yes you can. The channelsplitter object does the trick. Just assign 16 instruments (with proper outport and channel setting) to one channelsplitter. And 2 channel splitters makes 32 channels.

Unfortunately Logic CAN’T be synced to incoming midiclock. They skipped that feature from Logic 5 and upwards. So in your scenario Logic must be the master and Octopus the slave. It all depends how stable Logic send out it’s clocksignal and how forgiving Octopus is regarding drift.

gseher
    Keymaster

I have Logic 6.4.3 so I am aware of the sync limitation.In fact it was this that made me spend my money on the Octopus, rather than Logic 8 and a new Mac.

Instead I will have the Octopus paid off by December
    and I’ll buy a G5 desktop which I can use for another
    5 or six years, with 6.4.3 until hopefully Logic is better again or something better arrives.

rachel

gseher
    Keymaster

rachel wrote:

Quote:
    I….until hopefully Logic is better again or something better arrives.

rachel

Don’t get me started on Logic! I’ve used it since day one….. v6 was fine but I remember being very pi**ed when they stopped supporting VST with v7. I have Logic 8 now, needs must, business expects it etc. Unless you have to don’t, the list of never before problems is large and very frustrating. My move the Octopus isn’t as a replacement for Logic though, I just like things that make you think differantly. Roll on December here too!

Post edited by: deviousnoise, at: 2008/11/25 19:33

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.