Lets talk hypersteps!

OS_CE Forums Octopus General Lets talk hypersteps!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

A brand new feature in the new OS is the hypersteps. Have you used it yet?
    I am sure that there are some tricks in that bag that needs to be discovered.

I only played with it briefly, but my findings: It works great to have a hyperstep in (the end of) a hyped track, triggering a new track that has a hyperstep etc etc. If the hyped track containing a hyperstep is on random, you will not know if the next rack is going to play or not!
    Also I think hypersteps will be great for making a "fill" that comes eg every 8 bars, only using page mode (I am always in page, haha): Make one track of 1/8 speed and put the hyperstep in the end. This will play your "fill" track every 8 bars.

One thing I do miss is the ability to modulate the values of the hyperstep (and thus the hyped track) using EFFECTOR. This would be way cool, and I don´t think Gabriel would want to deny us this pleasure 😆

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

Okay, new idea for expansion of hypersteps:

You know how one step can contain more notes, but only one will play? And how one step can be given a random probability using the same chord feature?
    All this could be applied to the hyperstep!
    Result: The hyped track will play at this pitch OR that pitch. Or the hyped track will play or not play (at the probability you set using the chord buttons). How does that sound? Cool or what?
    And the great thing (I think) is that it is totally building on what we already have. Nothing new to learn, just apply old stuff to new feature.

Oh, and there seems to be something funny (bug-ish) about the hyperstep containing its own "normal" note. This does not seem usefull to me. I would much rather that the moment a step becomes a hyperstep, its "normal" step note ceases to exist. This would also in line with the above feature expansion.

Gabriel Seher
    Participant

Nice input Lars!
    So what does everyone else think? Hyperstep related that is..
    Remember we are in beta so there are still doors open.
    Gabriel

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

I did another thing:
    One track has the first step active, and the next step is a hyperstep that triggers the next track that has one step active, andthe next step is a hyperstep that etc etc. The last track should have a hyperstep that triggers the first track. I made 6 tracks like this, each one to a different channel (different sounds) but all notes the same. So somewhat akin to the classic Wavestation sound, haha.

Now there is many wacky things you can do: Step events on some of the tracks is fun. If you modulate LEN the timing of the whole thing will go weird.
    This sh*t is deeeep!.

Adam
    Participant

I was wondering if we could have multiple steps associated with one hypertrack. If they can’t play simultaneously, i.e. if a newly encountered hyperstep resets the playback of the hypertrack, that would be fine. But I would like to play with having different hypersteps triggering the hypertrack at different pitches. Is that possible? It’s not all that important to me, just a thought.

Lars D. Terkelsen
    Participant

Adam, that is definitely a good idea!

Gabriel Seher
    Participant

LDT wrote:

Quote:
    Oh, and there seems to be something funny (bug-ish) about the hyperstep containing its own "normal" note. This does not seem usefull to me. I would much rather that the moment a step becomes a hyperstep, its "normal" step note ceases to exist. This would also in line with the above feature expansion.

Actually this is intended to support the case where you have a track send some MCC data set that affects the note played by the hyperstep. When you modify the length of the note the modulation scales accordingly.
    Anyone else has an opinion on this?

matt hillier
    Participant

i need to investigate these hypersteps !

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.