How are you working?

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange How are you working?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    gseher
    Keymaster

I work with the effects switched off not because they wouldn’t sound good, but because I generally use effects only in rather late stages of the production process. A lot of times I find them rather distracting in a lot of patches and hiding away the essence of the sound.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

gseher wrote:

Quote:
    I work with the effects switched off not because they wouldn’t sound good, but because I generally use effects only in rather late stages of the production process. A lot of times I find them rather distracting in a lot of patches and hiding away the essence of the sound.

I see. I mostly use fx from the mixer board, not so much from the synths themselves. I record dry though and use fx from Logic in the mixing phase.

gseher
    Keymaster

My current setup:

The Octo feeds a bunch of (old and new) analogs. Their audio (16 channels) goes into Ableton on my macbook. I use a Novation Remote SL that goes into Ableton, where I use a miditrack only for routing midi (on the relevant channel) into the Octo.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

Interesting setup! And I see you use Live to rechannel your midi keyboard, heh. If that’s still in 1.42 it may be the first reason to get the source code and tweak it.

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

As many are using Live here, maybe someone can tell me if it’s hard to record into different tracks in Live?

gseher
    Keymaster

Not at all.. go to arrangement view. There, right click on the record button of any track, and make sure that "Arm Exclusive (Pref)" is unticked.
    Now you are able to arm more than one track for recording.

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

Thanks for the tip. I am seriously considering moving from Cubase to Live. I will try it out. Good point re. turning off the global fx in the Virus too.

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

To all you Live-gurus in here. Do any of you experience any sync issues between Octopus and Live? I had to offset the sync by around 250 ms for it to work at all, and it’s still not 100% on the beat. When I tried to hook up my MPC 2500 as well things got weirder still.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

CarlLofgren wrote:

Quote:
    To all you Live-gurus in here. Do any of you experience any sync issues between Octopus and Live? I had to offset the sync by around 250 ms for it to work at all, and it’s still not 100% on the beat. When I tried to hook up my MPC 2500 as well things got weirder still.

Hi Carl, how did you set up the system. Which of the two is master, which is slave?

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

robert wrote:

Quote:
    CarlLofgren wrote:

Quote:

Hi Carl, how did you set up the system. Which of the two is master, which is slave?

Hi Robert – the computer is actually the master, and the Octopus is the slave. When you mention this, I have a memory of Gabriel saying that Octopus is better off as the master… hmm… could it really make such a big difference?

Adam Wilson
    Participant

So you actually double clicked the ‘200’ button to put it in slave mode, and it lights green on your Octo?

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

Yep. It starts alright – but the timing against Live is dreadful.

Adam Wilson
    Participant

And what happens with the MPC then?

gseher
    Keymaster

I can not see any serious timing problems using Live as a slave of octopus.B)

Gene Schwartz
    Participant

robert wrote:

Quote:
    And what happens with the MPC then?

It starts alright – but if I record anything (in the MPC sequencer that is) the MPC have interpreted my bangings on the pads into something quite weird.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.