Feature request: realtime record non-looping, etc

OS_CE Forums Octopus New features Feature request: realtime record non-looping, etc

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

While I have been exploring the realtime record capability, I’ve seen a few features I wish were possible:

* More record modes.

Right now we have looping record with overdub.

It would also be nice to have one-shot record (record disables automatically after one play of the track)

Also, looping record with overwrite, so the track erases any previous notes as it plays and records new notes.

* Trigger record start on incoming notes. The playback (and recording) would be paused until you input the first note and then playback starts automatically. This would allow you to get the first note played exactly where it belongs, right now this is very difficult (for me, since I have poor timing!)

These modes could be selected by pressing the record button multiple times while you have a track selected, once for normal recording (record blinking red), twice for one-shot (record blinking orange), three times for overwrite (record solid orange), four times for input trigger (record AND pause blinking red), five times for input trigger and one-shot (record AND pause blinking orange).

What do you guys think?

cheers
    ripe

Adam Wilson
    Participant

I definitely like the one-shot record suggestion. Great for live situations too. I also like the record-loop-overwrite mode.

The record trigger mode is the last one on my list atm, but I understand the need.

All great suggestions, but the list of record modes it getting a bit too long for me to remember, unless the color/blink coding helps me remember somehow. We would get:

1. record-loop-overdub.
    2. record-loop-overwrite.
    3. record-oneshot-overwrite.
    4. record-oneshot-overdub (while we’re on it, heh).
    5. record-oneshot-overwrite-trigger.
    6. record-oneshot-overdub-trigger (while we’re on it, again).
    7. etc.

This almost looks like loop/oneshot, and overdub/overwrite, and play/trigger could be preset modes, set somewhere else. That would just give you a single ‘record’ command again, lol. Otoh, I’d like the idea of having a couple of these variations available, quickly. Just not that many I guess. Would I be able to remember 5 different modes?

Mike
    Participant

Hmm, understandable.

Maybe this could be tackled differently.

What about having a general "trigger start" mode which is engaged by hitting the pause button while playback is stopped. Playback or recording is trigger by the first incoming MIDI note.

So, this would work for both regular playback as well as recording situations.

Then for the recording modes, you just select from three modes, overdub, overwrite, one-shot (always overwrite).

That should clear up some complicated mode selection?

For me I would want overwrite to be the default mode (RED blinking), then overdub is second (ORANGE blinking), then one-shot (RED solid) and you could add one-shot overdub if needed (ORANGE solid)

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    1. record-loop-overdub.
    2. record-loop-overwrite.
    3. record-oneshot-overwrite.
    4. record-oneshot-overdub (while we’re on it, heh).
    5. record-oneshot-overwrite-trigger.
    6. record-oneshot-overdub-trigger (while we’re on it, again).
    7. etc.

The way I understand Ripe, #3 & 5 does not make sense to me. Are we not agreeing that the only thing that is overwritten is stuff that has been recorded earlier in the same take? So if you have "one-shot" there will be nothing to overwrite.
    If you by "overwrite" mean that whatever is on the track when you begin the recording is erased, I dont see the point. For this you just use track CLR before record.

Regarding loop-overwrite:
    What is it (exactly) that you want to accomplish.
    I try to picture myself using it: Drum beat is playing, and I am recording a bass searching for the perfect bassline. So everytime I come to the end of the bar, I have to take a split second decision if that was the right take, because if I dont, it is being erased right away. No, sorry, I fail miserably at trying to picture a use for it.

The trigger modes: Well, I can see that they would have a function that is new, and as long as the mode would not complicate what we have, I won´t object, (but I would never use it.)

Mike
    Participant

Maybe we should clarify that "overwrite" means that as the step indicator passes over a step it is erased and overwritten, so that means if you hit stop while the indicator is at step 10, then anything on steps 11-16 is not overwritten.

I would think this is the preferred recording mode (at least for me) because I usually need two or three measures to get ‘in the groove’. As it works now, I just get a bunch of takes stacked on top of each other. In overwrite I can get in the groove, get a good take and hit stop immediately after. This seems more musically possible than hitting start and getting the first take spot on. Again, this may be down to my amateur skills in playing things live (out of time, etc).

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

Hmm, have you tried the recording undo function?
    You record your take, but if you want another go, you just push ">" (while still in record) and what you just recorded is erased, but you are still in record mode. That is what I do all the time.

Quote:
    Maybe we should clarify that "overwrite" means that as the step indicator passes over a step it is erased and overwritten, so that means if you hit stop while the indicator is at step 10, then anything on steps 11-16 is not overwritten.

I think we still need a distiction between notes that was on the track before the recording in contrast to notes recorded in the previous round of the same recording process. I am still unclear if you mean overwrite whatever is on the track or just the new stuff.

Mike
    Participant

I was thinking overwrite would overwrite ALL notes, not just the currently recording notes. I don’t think the octo could distinguish between the two?

Also while we are on the subject, ah nevermind I will open a new thread for the next one :)

cheers
    ripe

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.