64 consecutive pages, or 16?

OS_CE Forums Octopus General 64 consecutive pages, or 16?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nick
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been thinking about ordering an Octopus for a while now, but there’s something I’d like to clear up before I go ahead and part with the cash. As far as I understand, it seems like it’s possible to program the Octopus to play 64 individual pages (or musical sections) consecutively, but on the other hand I’ve also heard that this isn’t the case and that the Octopus only supports 16 consecutive pages… which wouldn’t be enough for what I have in mind.

This is influencing my decision to buy quite a bit, as I’m not really interested in the live performance aspect as much as the ability to program whole songs (basically the hardware "screen-less" alternative to a software midi editor). Am I right in thinking the Octopus can do this?

Thanks,

Richard

gseher
    Keymaster

As it is now, it is 16 consecutive pages. It is easy to make the assumption, that this then means only 16 bars, but that is not at all the case.
    First, each page can have its own number of repeats. Then, each page can contain longer structures (track chaining), such as e.g. a 16 bar chord sequence (8 tracks chained and set to half speed).

There has however been talk (search this forum) about how to elaborate on the page chaining (banks) of grid mode. My guess is that this area will be expanded at some point. The beauty of our little community here is that Gabriel ("gseher" in this forum) is all ears when it comes to making the Octo better and us happier. (Yes, he is the guy who makes the Octo OS.)

EDIT:

Quote:
    (basically the hardware "screen-less" alternative to a software midi editor)

Well, sort of, but horses for courses as they say. I would never write a string quartet on the octo. It would be possible, but the graphics of a software midi editor is w-a-y better for certain chores.

Post edited by: LDT, at: 2008/12/16 00:54

Mike
    Participant

I am working on a video tutorial that covers this very thing, I’ll start a topic when I am finished (hopefully tonight!)

but yes, it is possible to have 64 distinct pages play in sequence.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    but yes, it is possible to have 64 distinct pages play in sequence.

Ha, I did wonder if this had been changed sometime along the way. I never pay that much attention to the grid mode, as I practicly never work there.

Nick
    Participant

That’s great, seems like it can do everything that I’d need it to (this is definitely one complex piece of kit!). Thanks for the helpful replies.

Ripe – I’d be interested in seeing that video once it’s finished, since it’s something that I’ll probably be doing quite a lot.

Nick
    Participant

Hi, how’s the video tutorial coming along?

Mike
    Participant

sorry, it’s been up for awhile, posted to another thread…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lysBQ7EA8Oo

cheers
    ripe

Nick
    Participant

Ah ha! Thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.