3/4 time? possible?

OS_CE Forums Octopus User exchange 3/4 time? possible?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Mike
    Participant

Is there some track timing that will equate to 3/4 time? Where 12 steps would equal 16 steps of a track in normal time…

I guess the multiplier would be something like 1.333? I can’t wrap my head around it. 1/3 multiplier obviously is too slow, but it is the closest thing.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

Um – i’m not sure what you mean? 3/4 is just changing the step length to 12… i think you mean triplets? in which case you need to use the 1.5 multiplier or 1/1.5

Mike
    Participant

Yeah I’m not sure what I mean either :-)

The futureretro revolution has 3/4 time signature, which makes it play 12 steps in the span of one measure.

from the revolution manual:
    "SELECTING A TIME SIGNATURE
    There are two time signatures to choose from when writing a pattern, which are 3/4 and 4/4.
    Each time signature simply divides the measure of a pattern into 12 (3/4) or 16 (4/4) equal parts. "

I want to duplicate this on the octopus, but also have tracks that play 16 steps in the same period of time. It doesn’t seem possible.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

trust me, i’ve thought about this long and hard man. i think 98% of most octopus users are doing boring ass 4/4 stuff. i’m so bored of it myself.

what you want is 3/4.. 1/4t, 1/8t, 1/16t
    and 1/32t timing.

i don’t think it’s possible.

if one was able to get that resolution in say logic audio or an asr-10, and then save as smf dump, can one import that back into the pus via midi? talking with another user he brought up an excellent point. where is your target file going to end up and how will it snap to what your end result should be?

maybe i’m making a monster oversite here… have i missed something?

Mike
    Participant

I tried recording the output directly from the Revo (running in 3/4) to the Octopus, but it doesn’t turn out right. I don’t think the STA offset can be set high or low enough to keep the timing.

Yes, .75 timing would work on my 16 step tracks to keep them in sync with a 12 step track running at normal speed. hmm. Most of my stuff is "boring" old 4/4 stuff anyways ;-) but I’d like to experiment.

Oh, and my "target" is always the octopus, I construct the entire track using the page clustering.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster

ripe,

is there a way one can "snap to grid" everything together to do like a global quantized feel for the entire pattern set?

*don’t break my balls if this has already been discussed, it’s just a quick question.

thanks bro

Mike
    Participant

I believe you can do this by selecting all tracks and reducing the STA factor to zero.

cheers
    ripe

Adam Wilson
    Participant

ripe wrote:

Quote:
    I believe you can do this by selecting all tracks and reducing the STA factor to zero.

And clearing the STA map of each track is the more destructive approach.

gseher
    Keymaster

Indeed – the quickest way to quantize everything to the grid is double click SEL and hold it, turn down the STA encoder for about 8 clicks – done.

And back to the original question about 3/4 time – dividing a measure into 12 parts of equal length:
    1. Make a chain of 3 tracks and make them 3x speed each. So now, a measure is the time it takes to play all 3 (the full chain).
    2. The 12 interesting steps are now the steps 1, 5, 9, 13 in each of the track respectively.
    Hope this is what you were looking for.
    Gabriel

Post edited by: gseher, at: 2008/07/17 10:41

gseher
    Keymaster

phase linear wrote:

Quote:
    trust me, i’ve thought about this long and hard man. i think 98% of most octopus users are doing boring ass 4/4 stuff. i’m so bored of it myself.

what you want is 3/4.. 1/4t, 1/8t, 1/16t
    and 1/32t timing.

i don’t think it’s possible.

that is possible – you need to use the 1.5,3 1/1.5, 1/3 etc tempo multipliers

gseher
    Keymaster

In my book, 12 over 16 means triplets. check the 1.5 multiplier. (dunno if in future future-retro it means something else) 16*1.5 = 12.

I must have been the only one that cried for months over the "broken" 1.5 multiplier.

Cheers,
    /R

Mike
    Participant

16 * 1.5 = 24

16 * .75 = 12! Which is why I asked for a .75 multiplier which would allow the use of a 12 step track in 16 steps of time, and then your note triggers are at useful times.

:)

cheers
    ripe

Post edited by: ripe, at: 2008/07/22 01:32

Post edited by: ripe, at: 2008/07/22 01:35

Post edited by: ripe, at: 2008/07/22 05:47

gseher
    Keymaster

but isn’t the point that you don’t use all 16 steps?… 16 steps make no sense in triplet time. make the track length 12 steps and then use 1.5 or 1/1.5

Post edited by: machina, at: 2008/07/22 05:16

Mike
    Participant

If you make the track 12 steps and play it at 1.5 multiplier it will play 18 steps while another track that is 16 steps and has multiplier of 1 plays once. So it would take three loops of the 12 step track to equal two loops of the 16 step track… not quite what we (I) wanted.

I was trying to get a 12 step track to play in the same amount of time as a 16 step track at multiplier of 1. This would require a multiplier of .75 on the 12 step track, or if the 12 step track was at multiplier 1, then the other 16 step tracks would need to be at 1.33 times speed.

cheers
    ripe

gseher
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I was trying to get a 12 step track to play in the same amount of time as a 16 step track at multiplier of 1. This would require a multiplier of .75 on the 12 step track

We need this!B)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.